Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50-100 meter/yards shooting

50-100 meter/yards shooting

I am trying to go beyond the 25meter line shooting my pistol.

At the 25 I am adequately skilled to hit 40-45 points consistently slow fire freestyle with a 5 round group (2"/5cm cluster in the bullseye)

My ultimate goal is to be able to hit a BC C Zone piece of steel reliably at 100meters (ie more than just a lucky shot)

I run a G17 with an extended threaded barrel from Lone Wolf, with Warrent sights, and feed it both regular and very hot 115gr ammo.

However I can't seem to hit steel at all from the 50 or further away. I attached a broom to my piece of steel to be able to seem my hits at 50-100 as I cant always hear it ring. Upon inspection I managed to hit the broom several times, but not a single hit on steel, making me think I aim too high.

I am POI at 25 (verified at the 25 with the steel today as well).

Where do you awesome shooters aim with a 9mm when at the 50+ (it seems I need to aim lower, but sounds crazy to me?)

Also, any other tips on getting me on steel (as there was some relief when I saw I hit the tiny broom, at least my windage wasn't off)

At longer distances I often hold on the neck of a silhouette.
    With a lot of my handguns .38 Special and up, that can result in a mid-silhouette hit.

Last time I tried snubs at 50 the M649s hit pretty well at that distance.
    Tried some 100 yard shots with a two-inch S&W M15. I went high and right on a large, green, paper silhouette.
    My son, the young whippersnapper, bullseye shooter, hit the middle with the whole cylinder.
    Young eyes and good trigger control are a definite plus.

Warrens typically have high POI at extended ranges, aim lower.

But at 100 you will need to aim high most likely.

Depends on the gun/sight combo. My Bianchi gun is set up for a six-o'clock hold all the way to 50 yards; something I take pains to verify before the match. The best way to figure out where your gun hits at 50 is to get a big roll of butcher paper, draw an aimpoint in the middle, and shoot groups at 50.

Factory Mepros on my G17s were approx 6" high for me at ~45yds. Nowadays my goal is zero at 50m. The Ameriglo website has a front sight calculation tool for Glocks. http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

It gets me pretty close.

Every time our whole family gets together we have some long range pistol. The 6" .357s are a fav, and if you get the sun behind the bullet you'll track the slower chamberings all the way.

Most sight combos I've tried = slightly high poi at 50 that usually results in some form of 6 o'clock hold and a drive the dot style hold at 100.

My P30 with 10-8 RS and Dawson tritium FS, shooting Nato is zeroed at 25 yds using the top edge. At 50 yds it prints about 3in high. At 100 yds I am holding on the shoulder transition of the B/C zone..
    Taking a break from social media.

Large paper targets, like the standard USPSA cardboard are your friend when you are working through POA/POI at distance. Also, ammo selection can make a large difference when you get outside 25 yards.

oops, missed Caleb's earlier post on paper
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My G17 hits to right about POA at the 50, I hold shoulder high at the 100 and can peg an IPSC sized steel target all day long.

There isn't as much drop as you might think;
    http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics...x?loadNo=23617

User Tag List