Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help - Spyderco Delica Reboot

I need help - Spyderco Delica Reboot

I'm not super much of a knife guy. I have a few that I consider to be good nice knives (Benchmade Mini Grip for EDC, Kershaw Chive for dressier occasions, Benchmade Presido Auto for larping, ESEE 4 SS for TEOTWAWKI), and my first "good" knife, a Spyderco Delica. The problem with the Delica is that it's an older model where the clip was held in place by the molded grip and through time it got twisted, breaking the mold.

I was wondering if there's a way to refub this knife so I might put it into carry rotation instead of just leaving it in my drawer for another 10 years. It looks like the scales are riveted on, though. Can they be replaced? What (if anything) can I do with it?

Thanks!

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Contact them. When the old style plastic clips on mine, broke. I sent it to them and they drilled for metal ones. Now, I found that the metal black grips would break also. However, I order the stainless ones which are more substantial and they haven't broken.

I’ve had great response from calling Spyderco CS direct w a question on parts. Might be an option to contact them and ask if they can refurb or refinish that knife.

Or as I have in that sigtuation send it in with a five dollar bill to be sharpened. It comes back fixed and sharp.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Yep, that happened to me. They replaced the broken plastic clips and put on the metal ones.

Site Supporter
    The version shown in the photos is not the one with the molded clip. The pictured version was used in between the original molded plastic clip and the present clips using 3 torx screws. The metal clip is held in place by the screws forming the lanyard hole, which can be unscrewed with a coin. Spyderco can sell you a new clip.

Ok, so I emailed the factory with the pics above. All they did was reply with the part number for a replacement clip. Maybe I was unclear in my message, but I still have the clip, don't need a replacement. So, I called them and they said there's nothing that can be done for the scales and they can't be replaced. "Just switch the clip to the other side" they said, but I don't really care for that since it'll change the orientation of the blade in my pocket. I guess I could try to repair the "square" that houses the clip with JB Weld or something.

I'm disappointed though. I guess this is why I retired that knife and became a Benchmade guy.

I was hoping that with Spyderco's huge fanbase that maybe there was a way to get aftermarket scales and a different clip design and rebuild this knife, but it seems like that's not the case.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

You might be able get aftermarket scales and whatever else you want from a third party...just not from Spyderco warranty / factory service. Folks do it every day over on bladeforums...except, apparently, when I send someone over there (last time).

While I have no issues with my several Benchmade knives, I think you're being a bit harsh in your judgment of Spyderco in this particular instance. But, your money, your choice.

https://bladeforums.com/forums/wante...-services.871/
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane

1. Could you not add some type of washer(s) to the mix that would minimize/eliminate clip spin?
    2. Could you not used a bit of fingernail polish or other light style thread locker and then be good to go?

Alternatively, sharpen, put a lanyard of some type on it and drive on. It still appears quite serviceable.

Finally, You could sell it on ebay. 30-50 shipped CONUS all day long.

If you tell us in this thread it locks up tight and the blade has not been jacked up by bad sharpening efforts, I am sure somebody would buy/trade for it here.

User Tag List