Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial info on CBP's new duty load--9mm Speer 147gr

Initial info on CBP's new duty load--9mm Speer 147gr

Just announced late last week is a contract with Speer for a new 147gr load to accompany CBP's transition to the Glock. The new bullet is the Speer G2SR. I haven't seen any of the ammo yet (and likely won't for some time) but it is rumored to be a nickle plated case and a black oxide bullet. I believe this was done as a way to allow easy visual verification that duty ammo is being load/used vs training ammo. In years past CBP used Federal XM40 that was basically Federal HST without the nickle plated case. Training ammo was a Winchester 180gr FMJ with a purple stain to denote that it was training use only. Aside from that possibility, there could be some corrosion/tarnish benefit to the black coating.

Anyway, ammo testing was conducted by NIJ Labs with the following results:

SPEER 147gr G2SR

Muzzle Velocity 913 FPS (no note of barrel length)

Bare Gel: 14.4” .654” expansion 100% retained weight

Heavy Clothing: 15.9” .623” expansion 100% retained weight

Steel: 14.8” .507” expansion 100% retained weight

Auto Glass: 14.7” .465” expansion 78% retained weight (114.4 gr)

The current loads being used for the Glock transition are a Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P and a Winchester 147gr Ranger. These loads will continue to be used until the new Speer comes online in 2021.

Does CBP still use training ammo? I have a few boxes of the purple stuff from one of our ex-BP guys, as well as a little more of the old duty ammo. But I’ve only ran duty ammo since coming back from FLETC... and the only different ammo I’ve shot was the Frangible stuff, because of FLETC.

That being said, my EOD date lined up with the Glock announcement, so wasn’t sure if that was due to using up old duty ammo. But even our shotgun (when we had them) and rifle qualifications were done with duty ammo.

I have no skin in the game, but 913fps seems awful slow for a duty load, if fired from anything G19 sized and up. The rest of the numbers look good though, so maybe it does not matter.

Pretty sure the new load is already on the DHS contract price list. It is pricey, even at .gov rates. I just submitted our ammo requisition for the year, and even though 147 gr HST is no longer on government contract, it is cheaper at open market price than the GD2.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Colors that sooth

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Looking at those from a public relations point of view. They look nasty, mean. Resurrection of the dreaded Black Talon maybe ? Black rifles, black bullets, they don’t give that warm & fuzzy feeling. Now, if CBP were to select say a pastel colored bullet, it could keep the ACLU types at bay. These days it is all about public image.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Does CBP still use training ammo? I have a few boxes of the purple stuff.
    I haven't heard anything about a training ammo contract but I can't imagine something isn't in the works.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Looking at those from a public relations point of view. They look nasty, mean. Resurrection of the dreaded Black Talon maybe ? Black rifles, black bullets, they don’t give that warm & fuzzy feeling. Now, if CBP were to select say a pastel colored bullet, it could keep the ACLU types at bay. These days it is all about public image.
    I guess Federal could paint them pink, with pics of teddy bears and rainbows on them, to appease the lawyers??

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The stepped ogive is interesting. Certainly it has been tested, but it did raise an eyebrow.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Now, if CBP were to select say a pastel colored bullet, it could keep the ACLU types at bay. These days it is all about public image.
    By that logic, I should carry my Blue Bullets hand loads because they look like weird smurf crayons rather than Hornady Critical Duty or Federal HST, since those two look like...bullets...

User Tag List