Thread: Leupold vx freedom fire dot

Leupold vx freedom fire dot

Does anyone have experience with the leupold vx freedom fire dot? I am setting up a new rifle and am contemplating a lvpo setup. But honestly do not have 1,000 to spend.

I would prefer something light as possible and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    What is your budget for this scope and mount? There are others I would recommend over the Leupold at the <$1k price point. Specifically the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 SFP and the Meopta Optika6 1-6 SFP.

the Vortex often pops up on online classifieds, so you can probably find one used pretty easily if you're looking to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What is your budget for this scope and mount? There are others I would recommend over the Leupold at the <$1k price point. Specifically the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 SFP and the Meopta Optika6 1-6 SFP.

the Vortex often pops up on online classifieds, so you can probably find one used pretty easily if you're looking to save money.
    I looked at the vortex PST. Was heavier than I would like. Not the end of the world though.

Budget would probably be around 800 if possible. The Steiner px4i is catching my eye a lot and have heard good things. I am setting up a 300 blk pistol and the plan was to possibly move the rds from my 5.56 gun onto the 300 and install lvpo on the 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I looked at the vortex PST. Was heavier than I would like. Not the end of the world though.

Budget would probably be around 800 if possible. The Steiner px4i is catching my eye a lot and have heard good things. I am setting up a 300 blk pistol and the plan was to possibly move the rds from my 5.56 gun onto the 300 and install lvpo on the 5.56.

I recommend you check out the Meopta Optika6 1-6 if you can find one in stock somewhere. I got one from Eurooptic for a good price. It is lighter than the PST Gen 2 and has better glass IMO. Heavier than the p4xi by about 3oz, but you gain 2x mag on the high end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I recommend you check out the Meopta Optika6 1-6 if you can find one in stock somewhere. I got one from Eurooptic for a good price. It is lighter than the PST Gen 2 and has better glass IMO. Heavier than the p4xi by about 3oz, but you gain 2x mag on the high end.
    Had never heard of it, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Had never heard of it, thank you!

No problem. It's a fantastic scope for the money, IMO. I really like the illuminated Kdot reticle, too.

Looks like B&H photo has it in stock here.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a Fire Dot VX-R Patrol 1-4 on my primary carbine so I guess that makes it my primary optic.

Overall I've been very happy with the optic. The "Fire Dot" is daylight bright in all the environments I've run it in and I've yet to replace the battery after 5 years (I do turn it off when not in use). It definitely can serve as a red dot when needed. My only issues with it is that the dot appears ever so slightly off center with the cross-hair. I have seen this on other scopes and Leupold says they can fix it but they quote me an absurd turn around time, but it is not enough to make any practical difference and may be an issue with my eyes as when I try to take a photo of it everything looks lined up. The only other complaint I have with the scope is that the turrets do not lock so it is possible I will move them in the field but to this point it hasn't been a problem.

It won't earn me any cred with the glass snobs but for a sub $700 LPVO it's worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have a Fire Dot VX-R Patrol 1-4 on my primary carbine so I guess that makes it my primary optic.

Overall I've been very happy with the optic. The "Fire Dot" is daylight bright in all the environments I've run it in and I've yet to replace the battery after 5 years (I do turn it off when not in use). It definitely can serve as a red dot when needed. My only issues with it is that the dot appears ever so slightly off center with the cross-hair. I have seen this on other scopes and Leupold says they can fix it but they quote me an absurd turn around time, but it is not enough to make any practical difference and may be an issue with my eyes as when I try to take a photo of it everything looks lined up. The only other complaint I have with the scope is that the turrets do not lock so it is possible I will move them in the field but to this point it hasn't been a problem.

It won't earn me any cred with the glass snobs but for a sub $700 LPVO it's worked well for me.
    As you may know, the 1.25-4 Patrol has been discovered. It was a decent scope and with a few tweaks (capped turrets, rheostat illumination adjustment) it could have been a solid choice.

Not sure what Leupold really plans to do. I talked to one of the LE sales guys at length about patrol optics. He agreed that Leupold needs a mid-range budget optic. It doesn't have to be the absolute brightest glass or the fanciest 1-12 or whatever on some crazy 38mm tube. What it does need to be is something like 1-4 or 1-5. Daytime bright with glass that's decent. 30mm tube and rugged build. Simple and easy to use/understand reticle with maybe some holdover info out to maybe 500. Probably not even that far. Will Leupold do it? I hope so.

Anyway, a decent scope that meets many of my points above is the Steiner P4xi. It was a smoking deal a year ago. Price increase has made it okay but it may be worth it to spend a couple hundred more and get something a wee bit better.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    As you may know, the 1.25-4 Patrol has been discontinued.
    FIFY

I had this scope and agree it was quite decent. Covered turrets is IMO all it really needed (which would have been an easy change for Leupold to make).

For those who place a premium on light weight, Leupold is a leader in this regard and that is the primary reason for using the brand. My current optic is a FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm in a DD mount, total weight between optic and mount is 12 ounces. It has zero Tactical Timmy features but is bright, clear, has long eye relief (easy access to charging handle), a generous eye box and at 2.2x actual magnification, is easy to use with both eyes open. I recently added a set of Midwest Industries BUIS, which features a single "mid-size" aperture which IMO is perfect for the intended use;

User Tag List