Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Berkeley may become first US city to ban cops from making traffic stops

Street racing in Berkeley?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I wonder what officers of this new Department of Transportation will be expected to do when the person they pulled over happens to have a warrant or is driving away from the location where they just committed a violent crime.
    Call a social worker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    PS Wonder if this will bring back camera enforcement like red lights but expanded to speeding...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    They have those in the UK.

Chris
    They have them here too... as well as vans with cameras/radar gear that function as mobile speed traps.

That was an expensive lesson.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I wonder what officers of this new Department of Transportation will be expected to do when the person they pulled over happens to have a warrant or is driving away from the location where they just committed a violent crime.
    The proposals I’ve seen for this from the left are that they won’t be able to check for warrants or have arrest powers. I’ll be curious to see how that works and how the city sets this up.

I don’t know exactly how the law works now, so some enlgihtment from our LE / lawyers would be nice, but can a city have a force that’s licensed to temporarily detain people but not have actual arrest powers?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Street racing in Berkeley?
    New total number of reasons to visit Berkeley: 1

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Bubb Rubb 'n' Li'l Sis have it made.

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Of course, there are probably very few people who are interested in being un-armed crisis intervenors or traffic wardens, so this idea will probably die a quick death

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The proposals I’ve seen for this from the left are that they won’t be able to check for warrants or have arrest powers. I’ll be curious to see how that works and how the city sets this up.

I don’t know exactly how the law works now, so some enlgihtment from our LE / lawyers would be nice, but can a city have a force that’s licensed to temporarily detain people but not have actual arrest powers?
    CA agencies have long had the capability to have civilian employees issue citations for minor local violations like parking and code enforcement. When state vehicle code traffic violations are criminal, probably not. Change them to civil infractions or have local traffic code, maybe...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Detention, typically no, as the Constitutional basis for detention derives from a law enforcement officer's unique powers of arrest, search and seizure (investigative detention to establish PC and conduct an arrest). This is why citizens cannot detain, and only make citizen's arrests (regardless of it being a detention in practice while waiting for police to arrive, there's an important legal distinction).

What a governmental body can do, however, is establish an agency and designate individuals as police officers but then administratively restrict their arrest authorities. That is very common, granted not to the extent to accomplish what Berkeley is after.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    CA agencies have long had the capability to have civilian employees issue citations for minor local violations like parking and code enforcement. When state vehicle code traffic violations are criminal, probably not. Change them to civil infractions or have local traffic code, maybe...
    Yes, but I have never have seen civilians used for moving violations. Speeding is not criminal but an infraction.

i also recall during the whole red light camera rush that agencies had to assign sergeants to review when tickets were contested. The program was a revenue generator for some places rather than its original intent to prevent collisions by deterring red light running.

Code Enforcement officers have to take PC832 training to issue citations but deal mostly with zoning/quality of life. None of the locals cities are armed.

(recall an article/video in LA County where some of them were in the rural unincorporated desert areas. Never could verify.)

Not sure if parking enforcement has to do the same PC832.

User Tag List