Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Ben Stoeger talks about running his dot turned down as low as possible so it is not pulling his eyes to the dot. Alternately, he says in practice to turn it so bright, you don’t dare look at it.
I heard him say the same thing, and I spent a bit of time playing with the concept yesterday. Jury is out, still.

One tool I am using in dry press is a pulse laser cartridge (G-sight, but anything similar will probably suffice), where I will turn the red dot down, pick a spot on the target at about 20 yards (in relatively low indoor light conditions), focus hard on the target spot I have selected, and press the trigger. The laser dot should appear in a consistent location relative to the red dot if the press is correct, and should not traverse in any way. If the laser creates a streak, it’s easy to see which direction it streaks to (supplementing this with an iPhone app which tracks the laser dot and shows the vector, if any).

I have also found this useful when practicing a DA press with my iron-equipped P30’s, but again, target-focused. Very subtle finger position and press rate changes make for a substantial effect at the target.

These exercises are working out well for me in live fire practice.