Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USMC fielding suppressors to all infantry squads starting this year

Was not one of the tested cans from the trials that were run, If we had gone with the best preforming can from those trials it would have probably been the OSS one selected, as it is they went with the low hanging fruit option.

It is what it is and is better than no cans, I suppose, which is the way it was looking for a while. When people kept trying to make "Hearing Safe" the major selling point....Once the item was sold to the decision makers as a lethality/ capability improvement they were all on board, when it was just being brought up as a safety device, not as many thought them required, just issue ear plugs....

The new service rifle is going to be a pig, As it is a 16 inch barreled, Quad rail equipped HK 416 with the new SCO ( Trijicon 1-6 VCOG won the solicitation), PEQ-16, grip, and suppressor hanging off of it.... Personally, I am not totally sold on the M27 for everyone but, well, I'm not the decision maker, it does what its told and shuts up and colors sometimes.....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Weeeelllll....

AEM-5 or AEM-4. Usually not looked at as a serious option these days due to its weight and length, but it's no heavier or longer OAL than a QDSS NT4, if that's the standard we're comparing against, and regardless of being dated is still the quietest 5.56 suppressor around (even admitted by their competition) and actually hearing safe.

I imagine that it's no longer an orderable product in the system given the dissolution of the USG vendor (Ops Inc), and having some light involvement with federal acquisitions as a technical representative/SME I can completely understand the need to go with a turn-key plug-and-play solution already in the system as opposed to starting a new RFP and going through that mess.
    But as you know the official goal was capability / lethality enhancement vs hearing safe.

Both the NT4 and the Surefire cans are often criticized for not being the quietest but they also have low back pressure which is important as getting gassed out by your suppressor is a thing.

Not to mention the cost of ops inc collar mounting set ups (or OSS or Surefire muzzle devices) vs simply replacing the crush washer behind standard A2 birdcages with a shim kit that costs less than $5.

I can sympathize as my organization tested multiple suppressors, the one adopted, the AAC M4, was the lowest rated of the 4 which passed evaluation but was half the cost (at GOV contract price) of the other three so.....
    Last edited by HCM; 07-14-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Was not one of the tested cans from the trials that were run, If we had gone with the best preforming can from those trials it would have probably been the OSS one selected, as it is they went with the low hanging fruit option.

It is what it is and is better than no cans, I suppose, which is the way it was looking for a while. When people kept trying to make "Hearing Safe" the major selling point....Once the item was sold to the decision makers as a lethality/ capability improvement they were all on board, when it was just being brought up as a safety device, not as many thought them required, just issue ear plugs....

The new service rifle is going to be a pig, As it is a 16 inch barreled, Quad rail equipped HK 416 with the new SCO ( Trijicon 1-6 VCOG won the solicitation), PEQ-16, grip, and suppressor hanging off of it.... Personally, I am not totally sold on the M27 for everyone but, well, I'm not the decision maker, it does what its told and shuts up and colors sometimes.....
    Is that going to be across all services or just USMC? I don't keep up.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Is that going to be across all services or just USMC? I don't keep up.
    USMC- for Infantry Battalions and other selected formations, everyone else will keep using the M4....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    https://soldiersystems.net/2020/07/1...t-4-suppressor

US Marine Corps Intends To Sole Source Knights Armament Co NT-4 Suppressor

Marine Corps Systems Command has published their intent to solicit and negotiate with only one source, specifically Knights Armament Co to purchase 5.56mm Small Arms Suppressors to be used on the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR), M4 Carbine and M4A1 Close Quarter Battle Weapon. The Marines plan to field the KAC NT-4 to satisfy their requirement for close combat forces.
    All of that sounds great right? Here’s where they lose me. The crux of their argument for sole sourcing the NT-4 isn’t that it has an NSN, not that they already have some. Instead, they push its compatibility with Bayonets, Collimators, Boresights and Blank Firing Adapters.

The KAC Small Arms Suppressor will enable the USMC to continue to use their existing bayonets, as well as their existing Small Arms Collimators (SAC), Laser Boresights (LBS), and Blank Firing Adapters (BFA), all of which are critical to accuracy and lethality in both training and combat. These items are interoperable with the current Small Arms Suppressor.

Since this a notice of intent, other companies can still submit (see SAMS for details) if they believe they meet these requirements.

Site Supporter
    Every time I see this thread I have this vision of an issue suppressor at a pawn shop near a base or on eBay. I know its illegal, etc. but....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Every time I see this thread I have this vision of an issue suppressor at a pawn shop near a base or on eBay. I know its illegal, etc. but....
    I'm sure they'll be SI by themselves just like a thermal optic or NVG's.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Yea. But why

It’s a fucking inert metal tube

I’ve got a whole book of stamps. I love short and quiet things.

But the suppressor registry is just window licker stupid.

Prevents no murders....saves no children....

“Hey how could we turn the most unless machine thing into reality?”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Yea. But why

It’s a fucking inert metal tube

I’ve got a whole book of stamps. I love short and quiet things.

But the suppressor registry is just window licker stupid.

Prevents no murders....saves no children....

“Hey how could we turn the most unless machine thing into reality?”
    It is one of the stupidest gun laws currently on the books, right next to the SBR/SBS/AOW idiocy. I don't think anyone here disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    It is one of the stupidest gun laws currently on the books, right next to the SBR/SBS/AOW idiocy. I don't think anyone here disagrees.
    Yes. Sorry for the rant.

Just thinking government bows to mobs.

You want a tax free can. #metoo

My rifle my choice.

I will be silenced or whatever.

User Tag List