Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USMC fielding suppressors to all infantry squads starting this year

Site Supporter

USMC fielding suppressors to all infantry squads starting this year

The Marine Corps plans on fielding suppressors to infantry squads starting this year

Anyone know which KAC can they are going with ?

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-...QKp-d9TannSstQ

formations will start receiving suppressors for their small arms at the end of this year, Task & Purpose has learned.

Marine Corps Systems Command on Thursday announced its intent to award a single-source contract to Knight's Armament Company for 5.56 small arms suppressors for use on the Corps' arsenal of M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles, M4 carbines, and M4A1 Close Quarter Battle Weapons

https://beta.sam.gov/opp/f9df29ca286...&psc=10&page=1

Wow. Im surprised.

I wonder if this will result in different maintenance intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I wonder if this will result in different maintenance intervals.
    On that, @rcbusmc24 does the currently fielded iteration of the M27 have a gas block capable of accommodating the increased backpressure ala the HK416N, or is that in the works as well? Did you guys start buying an M27 for everyone as announced, or will infantry be fielding the suppressor on M4 carbines for the foreseeable future?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Suppressor will be the legacy KAC NT4... it's in the system and the service already knows it. I figure the maintenance interval will remain roughly the same as it is now at the unit level, we already destroy most of our guns through overzealous cleaning. Depot level service will probably go up as parts wear out quicker... You can't do mag dumps with that can for long so the automatic rifle might be a issue.... Seen several destroyed that way...

All of the IARs have a bleed off point gas block, I am pretty sure that was only a issue with the early 10.4 inch guns.... All of the longer barreled varients came out with that mod, to include the civ sales models...

We are proceeding with getting a IAR for every rifleman in the Infantry Bn's. Not sure if that is complete yet or not, my old BN received theirs as I was leaving to go to EOTG...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Suppressor will be the legacy KAC NT4... it's in the system and the service already knows it. I figure the maintenance interval will remain roughly the same as it is now at the unit level, we already destroy most of our guns through overzealous cleaning. Depot level service will probably go up as parts wear out quicker... You can't do mag dumps with that can for long so the automatic rifle might be a issue.... Seen several destroyed that way...

All of the IARs have a bleed off point gas block, I am pretty sure that was only a issue with the early 10.4 inch guns.... All of the longer barreled varients came out with that mod, to include the civ sales models...

We are proceeding with getting a IAR for every rifleman in the Infantry Bn's. Not sure if that is complete yet or not, my old BN received theirs as I was leaving to go to EOTG...
    Just out of curiosity, how much will the IAR weigh as issued with optic and suppressor? Doesn't the IAR have a meaty barrel on it?

Don't know the exact weight, but it is much heavier than the M4... It's also a long musket...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Army has a different approach. This works for a lot of situations besides muzzle blast. I wish I had something like this in the 70's. I lost some hearing while in the Navy. VA caught me up.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...eling-headset/
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Army has a different approach. This works for a lot of situations besides muzzle blast. I wish I had something like this in the 70's. I lost some hearing while in the Navy. VA caught me up.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...eling-headset/
    These headsets are used in all services and headsets dont help conceal your position from the enemy. They also dont address over pressure in confined spaces.

These cans will not make the rifles hearing safe.... no rifle suppressor can really do that on a 5.56 gun.... They do make communication much easier though, and they help reduce the blast and over pressure that you will get from firing in confined spaces. They also assist greatly in reducing the flash signature at night or from darkened areas, helping to keep firing positions hidden longer. They also assist with dust being kicked up as well. It takes much longer for observers to locate firing positions of units or individuals shooting suppressed, particularly at night than it does un-suppressed. Signature reduction is the goal, not just hearing protection....Most units are either issuing electronic hearing pro to guys or authorize it's use if not provided. Our new inbound helmets will also allow for easier integration with electronic hearing pro as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    These cans will not make the rifles hearing safe.... no rifle suppressor can really do that on a 5.56 gun....
    Weeeelllll....

AEM-5 or AEM-4. Usually not looked at as a serious option these days due to its weight and length, but it's no heavier or longer OAL than a QDSS NT4, if that's the standard we're comparing against, and regardless of being dated is still the quietest 5.56 suppressor around (even admitted by their competition) and actually hearing safe.

I imagine that it's no longer an orderable product in the system given the dissolution of the USG vendor (Ops Inc), and having some light involvement with federal acquisitions as a technical representative/SME I can completely understand the need to go with a turn-key plug-and-play solution already in the system as opposed to starting a new RFP and going through that mess.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List