Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    That actually is a very important aspect of being able to shoot fast, keep the gun in line with your forearm. Allows you to c-clamp the grip with your strong hand and apply front to back pressure. When you rotate your hand around the grip and create a u-clamp grip you can’t apply front to back pressure.

Worth a watch.
    Damn. That makes a lot of sense. I need to go take a TPC class.

I came to the same realization. I was Glock only for years (Gen 3 & 4 era). I finally decided they did not work for me. I have since gone through many handguns. For striker fired the M&P works perfect for me with the small palm swell. For DA/SA (what I prefer), the CZ P07 and P09 work the best for me. I love the Beretta 92 series as well. The Elite LTT with WC short reach trigger works pefrectly for me as well.

I tried to make the DA/SA Sigs work for me, but they just do not fit me as well as the others I mentioned above even with the short reach trigger and E2 grip.

Other striker guns that worked better for me than Glock was the P320, FN FNS & 509, Walther PPQ and one that worked excellent for me was the APX. If I had not already been happy with the M&P, the APX may have been my top striker gun choice.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Damn. That makes a lot of sense. I need to go take a TPC class.
    It’s life changing lol. I didn’t take a class with them but when I applied this grip I shot instantly better. It’s just like he said. Feels like you are shooting squibs. Front to back pressure with strong hand and really focus on squeezing tight with the pinkie because that’s where all the leverage is. Then squeeze tight side to side with the support hand. A little push/pull to help keep the support hand on the gun and it’s that simple. Just have to keep constant strong grip pressure as the shot breaks and not loosen your grip. Keep forearms tense to keep the wrists locked and it feels like you are shooting the gun in a vice.

They call it c-clamp in the video but it’s the same grip that Brian Enos and Rob Leatham pioneered. They call it the neutral grip.

I've always found it strange that gun people often tend toward 'one size fits all' approach to service pistols. Not talking 'feel' here but 'fit'

It doesn't seem a mystery to me that people with wildly different hand size/shapes should (optimally) require different trigger reach and grip shapes.

It seems as logical to me as having many different size shoes for people with different size/shape feet.

This has always absolutely perplexed me. I needed to get that off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    That actually is a very important aspect of being able to shoot fast, keep the gun in line with your forearm. Allows you to c-clamp the grip with your strong hand and apply front to back pressure. When you rotate your hand around the grip and create a u-clamp grip you can’t apply front to back pressure.

Worth a watch.
    I'm just not able to perfectly align a pistol with my forearm and comfortably reach the trigger of just about any double stack pistol out there. I end up rotating the butt of the grip inwards a bit but am still able to apply front to back pressure. I've accepted that's just a compromise that I will have to make.

Developing a good grip, proper wrist tension, support, and stance are all required for shooting at a high level. But I don’t agree that alignment of the bore and the firearm is necessary or desirable.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I've always found it strange that gun people often tend toward 'one size fits all' approach to service pistols. Not talking 'feel' here but 'fit'

It doesn't seem a mystery to me that people with wildly different hand size/shapes should (optimally) require different trigger reach and grip shapes.

It seems as logical to me as having many different size shoes for people with different size/shape feet.

This has always absolutely perplexed me. I needed to get that off my chest.
    I agree with this. As I continue to mention, most of my time is spent shooting precision rifle and stock fit is of paramount importance. If I have the correct fundamentals, then sure I can shoot any rifle better than someone who doesn’t have them. But the correct fit sure does eliminate some variables that need to be accounted for. On at least some level, the principles must also apply to shooting pistols. I’m not talking about “feel”, but I am talking about getting the best opportunity for firing hand mechanics that seem to work well for me. But I will readily admit I’m no expert at this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can sort of understand what you guys are talking about with fit.

For instance, Johnny Glock triggers have reduced pre travel. He said that the reduced ore travel isn’t for the sake of just reduced pre travel but that it brings the trigger back which allows you to get a better placement of your shooting finger on it so you aren’t reaching.

I think a lot of guys that complain about shooting left, especially with Glocks, are either pushing the side of the trigger and not pulling straight back and/or weak support hand grip which allows them to push the gun left when they are pushing the trigger rather then pulling it back.

Site Supporter
    Aligning the barrel with the forearm has provided the following benefits for me.

It ensures that when the gun comes out of the holster, it enters my vision with the front sight close to centered in the rear sight.

It positions my trigger finger for a straight back squeeze while positioning my hand to apply straight forward pressure to the back of the grip, avoiding right or left pressure during the trigger squeeze.

It positions the best part of my hand to absorb recoil directly behind the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Following this thread brought to mind a comment made by our own DB during his now famous "Snubby Interview". I can't find it right now but basically he said we humans are adaptable creatures with apposing thumbs. We can use a variety of tools and because of our adaptable nature we can learn to use them well.

I was a died-in-the-wool 1911 shooter and carrier for 25 years. Then arthritis set in and the frame started bashing my shooting hand thumb knuckle. I switched to Glocks, not because they fit...they don't. I chose the Glock because it was the softest recoiling gun in my arthritic hands (all that wide, flexing plastic absorbs some of the punch). I "learned" how to shoot Glocks because at the time they were the best thing I could find.

Not trying to be an ass or a smart aleck but maybe the OP just needs to learn to adapt.

UMMV,
    Dave

User Tag List