Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Worked on this with a former co-worker. A P320 with their small module just wasn't enough. Ended up with a P365XL - small enough fit her hands, but big enough to have sight radius and capacity.
    Agreed! +1 for the 365XL. It shoots and recoils likea much larger gun and is very accurate to boot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have pretty small hands (probably not meaningful to you, but size 7.5 surgical glove). From some experimentation long ago, I learned that the best backstrap combination with Gen 4 glocks was no back strap on the G19s, size M backstrap on the G17s. I don't know why the backstrap made a difference in the 19 and not the 17; if anything, the M sized backstrap in the 17 "felt" worse but it consistently improved my performance on drills.
    This. I ran the same experiment many, many times and got same results. Strange...

I've had the same problem with the Glock 19 I carried for years. I can mask the problem with two-handed shooting, but it's much more pronounced when shooting with one hand. The M&P Shield is also simply easier for me to shoot in this regard.

Then my kid got old enough to shoot 9mm guns. The Glock 19 proved to be WAY harder to shoot than the M&P Shield. Her hands will never get as big as mine. It was obviously time to move away from standard Glocks.

Our solution is the M&P platform, and specifically the M&P 2.0 compact for it's G19 like versatility.

The M&P trigger reach is remarkably shorter than a Glock 19, yet it maintains all the benefits of a full-size pistol with regard to shooting characteristics. It seems to be the shortest trigger reach I was able to find of any true double-stack pistol (although I was never able to handle a Sig P320 with small frame).

We did try the P365-XL. Due to it's smaller size, we found it's recoil characteristics were just enough snappier to be harder to shoot, even with it's superior trigger reach. I don't find the XL to be much softer than the Shield. This was more pronounced for my daughter, and it became more of an issue for both of us as session round counts increase. We never did shoot the Glock 48, as I didn't have access to one and assumed the recoil issues would parallel the P365-XL.

If I was you, I'd try to shoot a P365-XL, Glock 48, and a double-stack M&P 2.0. If the slightly increased recoil doesn't bother you, then one of the new in-betweener guns may solve your problems optimally. If what you really want is a true double-stack pistol in terms of mass, I think it may be impossible to beat a M&P for trigger reach concerns at this time. At least that's how it worked out for us.

Good luck.

Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

@Crews, my hands aren’t huge, and I’ve come to realize that this can be an advantage for my grip. There’s plenty of space for the support hand. Here are a couple pics of what my grip looks like. Can you send us a pic of your strong hand on a Glock?

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Trying to add a few more data points for @Crews.

This is my grip on my Gen 5 no backstrap:

Name:  3CA2A058-EB81-48BA-8D01-A24B48FC3E8B.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  31.7 KB

And on Shootin’ Partner’s P365:

Name:  B27F448F-5DA0-434B-9801-CC7C382401BC.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  26.4 KB

My P365XL is almost identical in terms of trigger reach, less the additional 2-3 mm caused by the flat trigger in the XL.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The oval and thinner shape of the P30 might do the trick.
    I have one. It fits my hand pretty well. A 1911 grip is about right for me and the p-30 is pretty close to a 1911. I gave up on double stack anything awhile back. P-30 mag is wider than 1911 mag.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The P30 *feels* really good, but I can’t get trigger finger address consistent (LEM). Same for the CZ75 in SA.
    Ignore Alien Orders

perhaps the VP9 with the small grips and backstrap, or even the new Beretta 92x with the Vertec grip......

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I've had the same problem with the Glock 19 I carried for years. I can mask the problem with two-handed shooting, but it's much more pronounced when shooting with one hand. The M&P Shield is also simply easier for me to shoot in this regard.

Then my kid got old enough to shoot 9mm guns. The Glock 19 proved to be WAY harder to shoot than the M&P Shield. Her hands will never get as big as mine. It was obviously time to move away from standard Glocks.

Our solution is the M&P platform, and specifically the M&P 2.0 compact for it's G19 like versatility.

The M&P trigger reach is remarkably shorter than a Glock 19, yet it maintains all the benefits of a full-size pistol with regard to shooting characteristics. It seems to be the shortest trigger reach I was able to find of any true double-stack pistol (although I was never able to handle a Sig P320 with small frame).

We did try the P365-XL. Due to it's smaller size, we found it's recoil characteristics were just enough snappier to be harder to shoot, even with it's superior trigger reach. I don't find the XL to be much softer than the Shield. This was more pronounced for my daughter, and it became more of an issue for both of us as session round counts increase. We never did shoot the Glock 48, as I didn't have access to one and assumed the recoil issues would parallel the P365-XL.

If I was you, I'd try to shoot a P365-XL, Glock 48, and a double-stack M&P 2.0. If the slightly increased recoil doesn't bother you, then one of the new in-betweener guns may solve your problems optimally. If what you really want is a true double-stack pistol in terms of mass, I think it may be impossible to beat a M&P for trigger reach concerns at this time. At least that's how it worked out for us.

Good luck.
    Going to second the M&P. With the small grip insert, it fits my smallish hands quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Crews, my hands aren’t huge, and I’ve come to realize that this can be an advantage for my grip. There’s plenty of space for the support hand. Here are a couple pics of what my grip looks like. Can you send us a pic of your strong hand on a Glock?
    Unfortunately I’ve already sold the G19. For reference, in my mind I am searching for an interaction with the trigger that’s more like this:

And less like this:

That’s what I mean by a 90* straight back trigger press. At least that’s what I’ve found works best for me to get a consistent trigger press when I shoot precision rifle. I am far behind most here when it comes to skill and practice with a pistol. So I may be going at this all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List