Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Try the APX - I have short fingers and I liked the feel of it. I ended settling on the g43x for when I needed 10 rounds. Search the forum for "small hands"; it comes up fairly often around here.
    This right here. The APX has a noticeably smaller grip than almost any other double stack I’ve ever encountered. It’s like a Browning High Power.

If you like the Glock, a grip reduction will work as it does with my short fingers. I have examples from Robar, Cold Bore Customs, and Boresight Solutions. All have improved my ability to get a proper trigger press, but Robar sadly is no more. A Cold Bore Customs G17 is in my Sparks VM-2 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Tiny mitts (mechanix small). I shoot 1911s with slim grips and a short trigger, because I hit better with that platform than anything else. G19s of any gen don’t work (I’ve had four (2x2s, a 3, and a 4) and shot the gen5 to the same effect).

I shoot a 17 fine; almost as well as 1911s. I shoot it better than anything else but a P35. If I was super in love with the platform I would cut down a 17. I think of it from time to time.
    WTF, over. How is a 17 radically different from a 19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with the 92X Compact. The Vertec grip makes a big difference for my tiny hands (somewhere between a small and medium glove size). I shoot it pretty well, never got a chance to compare it to the 19.4 I started on but I feel its been working for me.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post

The hump on the rear of the grip is in a different location on the G17 vs. the G19.

Site Supporter

I believe that it's the hump on the 17 is lower on the grip. So it changes the trigger reach for some. I second the idea of trying a flat faced trigger. The vickers just replaces the shoe on a OEM trigger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ll have to check out the Vickers trigger if it’s non-invasive. I would normally be the very last person in the world to tinker with a trigger on a carry gun, but that doesn’t sound too bad.

I guess one thing worth pointing out is that I’m sure the hurdles I’ve noted with fat Glock grips could be overcome with enough training. It’s just that I know I’ll never dedicate that many resources to it.

Another person here with small hands. If you think training could overcome your issue, but don't think you have enough time, why not get a SIRT and a laser trainer app for your phone and practice at home? Although the SIRT doesn't have the exact same weight and trigger as a Glock, it sure has the same chunky grip and practicing with it helped me overcome multiple issues related to grip and trigger press. Plus blasting stuff with a laser made dry fire practice something I actually wanted to do at the end of a day.

Size M hands here. Just got a P365XL. I have a scant 240 rounds through it to date, but the grip fits me better than my G19, and I enjoy shooting it a heck of a lot more than the G43X I traded in for it.

Site Supporter
    I dunno... why spend a lot of time training with a gun you're at an anatomical disadvantage with? There's a lot of guns out there that would probably work better for your hand size. I have small hands too--a Glock 19 just feels... obtuse? to me.

Best double stack for small hands? I'll go ahead and nominate the Browning Hi Power. Even with my stubby digits, I get plenty of finger on the trigger. My fiancee (also small handed) loves the thing. I can't take her shooting without it. Not that I mind.

The Beretta PX4c also feels great in my hands. I can reach the DA okay and SA position feels just about perfect. I also find the 92c (or even a full size 92) to be surprisingly comfortable--you hear so much about the 92's grip being fat, but the trigger reach is actually pretty short. Might even be shorter than the PX4. And I think the new 92X series with the straight backstrap would be even better.

If you're into oddball guns... The Lionheart LH9c / Daewoo DP51c / Regulus Beta also feels fantastic. The trigger reach is inherently short and the straight backstrap really lets you get "into" the grip. I kinda rediscovered my Daewoo recently. I love shooting it. And I've actually grown to like weird the DA+ feature (it's like an LEM that stays back once you pull it).

All that said...

I still prefer single stacks for carry. A thinner grip is always easier to conceal. For me.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 07-13-2020 at 10:56 PM.

User Tag List