Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

My wife has hands so tiny, that she can't shoot any generation G19 without the gun recoiling through the outside of her thumb. She can't get the pad of her index finger on the trigger any other way.

Things that work for her are:

Walther PPQ
    HK VP9
    CZ 75 and Kadet

I'm sure there are others, but those are what she really likes.

I came to a similar realization about a year or two ago for the same reasons but with the added requirement of being able to hold the pistol straight in line w/ my forearm. I read that somewhere at some point (holding a pistol to be inline w/ your arm) and was chasing something that ultimately didn't make a noticeable difference for me. I've given up on finding the perfect pistol for my small hands (I wear size small men's gloves for reference) based on those previous "requirements" and have found I can comfortably shoot alot of pistols out there pretty well. Unless you are seeing a noticeable detriment to your shooting due to a specific factor, don't get too caught up in chasing after the perfect fit for your hands.

If you're OK w/ aftermarket triggers, I've found some flat faced triggers on Glocks helped w/ trigger reach. An Agency Arms trigger on a Gen4/5 Glock 17/19/45 fits me pretty well. As do the Sig P320 X-Compact & Sig P365XL.

In my never-ending fight to make my hands work with the Glock platform, I've found the Gen5 pistols to be a moderate improvement over the Gen4, and a noticeable step "up" (or down?) from the 3rd Gen and earlier guns. I recently installed a flat faced trigger on my Gen5 G26 (only Glock left in the stable), and it made a HUGE improvement - to the point where I need to drift my rear sight back to the right and am thinking about a higher front sight. I've owned, shot, and sold off both the G43 and G43X.

Having said all that, there are SO MANY good options on the market, I've pretty much given up trying to talk folks into the Glock if it's not a good fit. The S&W M&P family's grip seems more forgiving (especially with the small backstrap), and I've recently rediscovered my love for the P2000. I has a P365 which was more shootable than either of the "slim line" Glocks, but a buddy HAD TO have it, and I haven't gotten around to picking up another. And, of course, nothing compares to the 1911, though double stack versions are questionable...

I would also suggest a Walther PPQ. I also have trouble with trigger reach on some double stacks, but my P99 is very manageable, especially with the small backtrack installed. A female friend with small hands found it pretty easy to handle as well. The PPQ should be similar.

I guess one thing worth pointing out is that I’m sure the hurdles I’ve noted with fat Glock grips could be overcome with enough training. It’s just that I know I’ll never dedicate that many resources to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked on this with a former co-worker. A P320 with their small module just wasn't enough. Ended up with a P365XL - small enough fit her hands, but big enough to have sight radius and capacity.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I also have small hands and find the glock doesn’t fit me well and I struggle with a good trigger press. For carry I use the p365, for full size the p320 x5 with small module and the cz p10f both work for me. I like the p10f over the p320 so that is what I’m sticking with.

Site Supporter
    Not sure if this has been asked or suggested...43X or 48 with the metal 15 round mags?

Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Tiny mitts (mechanix small). I shoot 1911s with slim grips and a short trigger, because I hit better with that platform than anything else. G19s of any gen don’t work (I’ve had four (2x2s, a 3, and a 4) and shot the gen5 to the same effect).

I shoot a 17 fine; almost as well as 1911s. I shoot it better than anything else but a P35. If I was super in love with the platform I would cut down a 17. I think of it from time to time.

The P30, CZ75, .40 HP, G26/7, 92, and N frame mock me. I have picked up a 229 because they’re so cool, but have not had time to shoot it yet.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Glock 48 w the aftermarket 15 round magazines.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List