Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

I’ve recently come to the realization that my hands might just be too small to shoot a G19 with a proper 90* trigger press. When I shoot my S&W Shield I’m able to be both precise and accurate. With the G19 both precision and accuracy suffer to a noticeable degree.

I don’t get to shoot nearly as much as I would like. Shooting rifles is fun for me, shooting pistols is just an obligation to be somewhat proficient with a tool. So I realize some of this is very likely the Indian and not the bow. So I am willing to admit it if the overwhelming feedback here is “try harder.”

With that being said, are there double stacks out there that allow for a much shorter “LOP” than what I’ve determined won’t work for me on a G19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What generation G19 were you shooting. Later generations are a bit more svelte in the grip...unless you add the backstraps.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Double Stacks and raccoon-sized hands

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I’ve recently come to the realization that my hands might just be too small to shoot a G19 with a proper 90* trigger press. When I shoot my S&W Shield I’m able to be both precise and accurate. With the G19 both precision and accuracy suffer to a noticeable degree.

I don’t get to shoot nearly as much as I would like. Shooting rifles is fun for me, shooting pistols is just an obligation to be somewhat proficient with a tool. So I realize some of this is very likely the Indian and not the bow. So I am willing to admit it if the overwhelming feedback here is “try harder.”

With that being said, are there double stacks out there that allow for a much shorter “LOP” than what I’ve determined won’t work for me on a G19?

I suggest trying a Sig P365, either the original model or the larger model, not the SAS model. My original model has now become my most commonly carried gun. The larger version is optics ready. With 12 round magazines, either will provide a full 3 finger grip. With 10 round flat base pad magazines, the original is a game changer for pocket carry.

While I do not have any personal experience with this gun, a Springfield Hellcat is worth a look. An optics ready version is available.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Might want to comparitively handle and shoot a Gen5 G19, G45, G19X... and the single-stack 10 round magazine G48.

Best, Jon

The one I was shooting/carrying was a Gen 3. I have checked out a Gen 5 in the store, and while it is better it doesn’t seem to me like it’s enough to make a huge difference. And speaking of Glock, the G48 still didn’t make me feel like I was able to get 90* control and a straight back pull. I haven’t written the 48 off just yet though.

The 365 DEFINITELY checks the box in my mind. Reaching the trigger is not a challenge. My only reservation is it being a newer design. Sounds like there’s a chance at this point it’s not something to be concerned about.

I was going to suggest looking at S&W, HK, and Walther for their more rounded grip profile, but if the G48 isn’t quite right for you those won’t do the trick either. If the 365 series works that’s definitely an option. Your other options may just be single stacks.

Site Supporter
    Try the APX - I have short fingers and I liked the feel of it. I ended settling on the g43x for when I needed 10 rounds. Search the forum for "small hands"; it comes up fairly often around here.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    The one I was shooting/carrying was a Gen 3. I have checked out a Gen 5 in the store, and while it is better it doesn’t seem to me like it’s enough to make a huge difference. And speaking of Glock, the G48 still didn’t make me feel like I was able to get 90* control and a straight back pull. I haven’t written the 48 off just yet though.

The 365 DEFINITELY checks the box in my mind. Reaching the trigger is not a challenge. My only reservation is it being a newer design. Sounds like there’s a chance at this point it’s not something to be concerned about.

The P365 had some initial issues which were corrected over a year ago. I bought mine after the Indiana State Police selected it as their issued backup gun in the spring of 2019.

The reason I discouraged the SAS is that there is nothing to snag on the original version, so there is no reason to compromise the sight picture with the nonstandard sight. The SAS is really a solution to a non-existent problem. I also prefer to avoid ports unless there is a reason they are needed.

The oval and thinner shape of the P30 might do the trick.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have pretty small hands (probably not meaningful to you, but size 7.5 surgical glove). From some experimentation long ago, I learned that the best backstrap combination with Gen 4 glocks was no back strap on the G19s, size M backstrap on the G17s. I don't know why the backstrap made a difference in the 19 and not the 17; if anything, the M sized backstrap in the 17 "felt" worse but it consistently improved my performance on drills.

YMMV, but the only guns I've found I truly can't shoot because of my hand size are pistols with long DA trigger pulls (CZ 75, Beretta 92). I even did OK with a Glock 21 but that was a bit at the margins.

Either way, now isn't a great time to be horse trading guns unless you're just looking to liquidate for cash (in which case, great timing). You might get a good price for your Gen 3 G19, but you will pay dearly for your replacement, whatever it is.

User Tag List