Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the 92.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    This video makes me happy ☺️

Student

Me too.

It's always interesting to get the perspective of long time gun guys, especially guys who are known to have experience and expertise in other guns.

Beretta 92fs was my first pistol back in the early 90s, and I currently own two Wilson Combat Berettas, a LTT Elite and a 92X Performance. Never been better for Beretta guys!

Vending Machine Operator
    Great video. I own a few books on the 92-series that are fun reads.

Like a lot of military hardware at certain points in history (the M4 Sherman comes to mind) it's often maligned by armchair generals and critics but, like the M4 Sherman, was/is an exemplary and well-designed piece of hardware when used/maintained as designed.

Anecdotes aren't evidence, but it's hard to ignore the experience of a lifetime of shooting. I learned to shoot on a 92G, then a 96G. The first handgun I bought with my own money mid-college was a 92FS, and in the intervening years I've owned a 92G Compact, 92S, 92A1. All with proper magazines, light grease, and good spring maintenance. My malfunctions/failures to feed with Berettas in general are very rare and are limited to 3-4 minor stoppages across 15K rounds with my PX4 (at least one for sure ammo-related), a few stoppages on the Cougar series, and plenty of stoppages on the range-plinking Bobcat using low-vel ammo.

My malfunctions/failures to feed with 92-series guns, to this day, is 0. Across my 92FS, 92A1, 92 Compact before I sold it, 92S before I gifted it, my dad's duty 92G and 96G, I cannot recall a single time one of those guns didn't work. They also shoot pretty dang accurately.

A storied series of handguns that looks cool to boot.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Great video. I own a few books on the 92-series that are fun reads.

Like a lot of military hardware at certain points in history (the M4 Sherman comes to mind) it's often maligned by armchair generals and critics but, like the M4 Sherman, was/is an exemplary and well-designed piece of hardware when used/maintained as designed.

Anecdotes aren't evidence, but it's hard to ignore the experience of a lifetime of shooting. I learned to shoot on a 92G, then a 96G. The first handgun I bought with my own money mid-college was a 92FS, and in the intervening years I've owned a 92G Compact, 92S, 92A1. All with proper magazines, light grease, and good spring maintenance. My malfunctions/failures to feed with Berettas in general are very rare and are limited to 3-4 minor stoppages across 15K rounds with my PX4 (at least one for sure ammo-related), a few stoppages on the Cougar series, and plenty of stoppages on the range-plinking Bobcat using low-vel ammo.

My malfunctions/failures to feed with 92-series guns, to this day, is 0. Across my 92FS, 92A1, 92 Compact before I sold it, 92S before I gifted it, my dad's duty 92G and 96G, I cannot recall a single time one of those guns didn't work. They also shoot pretty dang accurately.

A storied series of handguns that looks cool to boot.

Over about 30 years I have owned at least 10 different versions of the Beretta 92, including an fs(my first pistol), a couple Elite IIs, an Elite 1a, a couple Inox pistols and my present Brig Tac and Cen Tac, an LTT Elite and the latest, a 92X Performance I can recall exactly ZERO malfunctions over thousands of rounds fired that weren’t obviously ammo related, UNTIL the 3rd round through my then brand new X Performance!! I couldn’t believe it. There the empty round was, sitting in the chamber with the next round shoved up behind it. I cleared the live round and, with my fingernail, plucked the empty out of the chamber. It has run 100% since. Ironically enough, just a couple of days prior I had told my brother that I had never had a non-ammo related stoppage while shooting a 9mm, which I couldn’t say about the couple of .45s I had owned. The very next day, while shooting for the first time my then brand new Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite in 9mm I had ftrb after ftrb, due to sluggish slide velocity caused by lubing the pistol with grease. Beretta 92s have run incredibly well for me.

I think Bill Wilson has done this before in a different video, but at the end, when they were talking about the Brigadier Tactical, I would have liked to have them talk about the feature set on the gun, and how he and Beretta came up with them. While most of the individual parts were probably in the inventory, and the BrigTac is similar to the 92G/SD it really is a different gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think Bill Wilson has done this before in a different video, but at the end, when they were talking about the Brigadier Tactical, I would have liked to have them talk about the feature set on the gun, and how he and Beretta came up with them. While most of the individual parts were probably in the inventory, and the BrigTac is similar to the 92G/SD it really is a different gun.
    Bill Wilson participated pretty actively in a thread at Beretta forum which is now under the ‘evaluation- comparison archive’ section about the introduction and design of the Brig Tac and it is really interesting. Basically he decided to design the pistol HE wanted! Just happened to be a hell of a gun, and matches the one I personally would have specced out, although I would have added front cocking serrations. It was for that reason I initially decided I wasn’t going to buy the Langdon LTT. Glad I changed my mind on that decision!! LOVE My Elite LTT!! IIRC Wilson did a video on the introduction of the Centurian Tactical that covers some of the same territory.

Great video. Love that series that they keep putting out. Love the 92 and the histiry they presented was very interesting for sure.

I really wish they would release these as a podcast. Perfect format.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List