Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Folding Knife for Daughter

I have a waved dragonfly that’s very likable.

How about this Kershaw Emerson and trainer combo, plus a lesson or two at your local Filipino martial arts trainer?

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-6034T...%2C219&sr=8-14

I'm still waiting for my buddy's dojo to reopen for my 21 year old daughter to take her class.

As NJ has posted here before the handle is mo important than the blade. If she can carry a delicate sized knife the handle is MUCH better than a DF. If the blade is too long then shorten to 2.5" and then standard Delica becomes a warn cliff.

Good advise to cary a SAK for utility use. (Thinking the other is a social blade)

Oh and A knife without a sharpener is like a gun without bullets.

I've bought several Delicas throughout the years for ladies; they have been universally adored and actually carried. The Wharncliff version plus a Sharpmaker sets someone up for the vast majority of most folks' knife usage, and most locales legally in the US (reminder if she ends up back in NYC any time soon: keep it hidden, including pocket clip. Waistband or actually in pocket).

For second multi-purpose part, I'm going to disagree with the SAK. My experience with gifts and personally is that a mini Multi-tool is more likely to be carried and used.

Gerber Dime: https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Multi-.../dp/B00TBF5JC4

Leatherman: https://www.amazon.com/LEATHERMAN-St.../dp/B0058RX9NU

Way better to have the pliers, even if small, you don't need a blade if you have a folding knife, it can easily get attached to keys, stuck in a bag or pocket, and gives you a small but workable pair of scissors. TSA safe.

I've been very pleased with my Chapparal. It's sub-3", very thin, carries very small, and has a true finger choil. Also, I cannot flick it open.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    How about this Kershaw Emerson and trainer combo, plus a lesson or two at your local Filipino martial arts trainer?

I'm still waiting for my buddy's dojo to reopen for my 21 year old daughter to take her class.
    I like the e-Train trainer a lot. Check out the Emerson/Kershaw CQC5k. It has G10 scales on both sides.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Looks like daughter will not be headed back to NYC for school in the upcoming semester. Just celebrated her 21st.She would like a knife.

Small fixed blade is a no go.

I am liking some Spyderco Dragonfly variation, but am open to other suggestions/thoughts/input etc.

Thank you in advance.
    You waited 21 whole months?

I bought my son’s first knife the day I found out we were having a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post

I have both of those (albeit the knife has the tanto blade. They are my only exception to my No Chinese steel rule. Another option is a real Emerson. My son gave me a Commander but I'm afraid to carry such an expensive knife. Special occasions only. Both the Kershaw and the Emerson have me stuck on the the "wave" feature.

My last visit to the Philipines was in 1988 and involved a lot of San Miguel beer and zero knife fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I have both of those (albeit the knife has the tanto blade. They are my only exception to my No Chinese steel rule. Another option is a real Emerson. My son gave me a Commander but I'm afraid to carry such an expensive knife. Special occasions only. Both the Kershaw and the Emerson have me stuck on the the "wave" feature.

My last visit to the Philipines was in 1988 and involved a lot of San Miguel beer and zero knife fighting!
    I haven't had a San Miguel (Dark) in years. Used to love that stuff back in the day. (Knife fighting not so much.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List