Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Folding Knife for Daughter

Site Supporter

First Folding Knife for Daughter

Looks like daughter will not be headed back to NYC for school in the upcoming semester. Just celebrated her 21st.She would like a knife.

Small fixed blade is a no go.

I am liking some Spyderco Dragonfly variation, but am open to other suggestions/thoughts/input etc.

Thank you in advance.

It's a classic. The only one I've ever owned...I took it with me on a couple of international flights where something larger might have raised an eyebrow.

Name:  dragonfly6.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  dragonfly4.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  dragonfly2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  dragonfly.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  72.8 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Plain edge limited Lil’ Matriarch from the Bento box? Great knife, delica-sized, probably legal most places.

The only problem with that blade, Sidhe, I mean Totem, is that if she's not an aficionado of sharpening, it's not the easiest blade profile to keep up with.

Of course, dad can help with his Sharpmaker.

Site Supporter
    @vcdgrips I suggest you carefully review NYC knife laws.
    NYC has long held that if you can flick the knife open then it's illegal....
    A sub-4-inch fixed blade is (was?) ok, but a flickable 2-inch folder could get you prison time.

Unless something has changed recently, I'd choose a fixed blade clinch pick over a flickable folder for NYC.
    https://kniferights.org/legislative-...e-code-knives/
    https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/new-york/

Been a while since I cared enough to be current on this, so, hopefully something has changed for the better.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    @vcdgrips I suggest you carefully review NYC knife laws.
    NYC has long held that if you can flick the knife open then it's illegal....
    A sub-4-inch fixed blade is (was?) ok, but a flickable 2-inch folder could get you prison time.

Unless something has changed recently, I'd choose a fixed blade clinch pick over a flickable folder for NYC.
    https://kniferights.org/legislative-...e-code-knives/
    https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/new-york/

Been a while since I cared enough to be current on this, so, hopefully something has changed for the better.

I think she "wasn't" returning to NYC for school...so unless she lives there...?

You won't be flicking open a Dragonfly. At least not the one I own. I'm lucky if I don't have to open it with two hands because of the diminutive size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think she "wasn't" returning to NYC for school...so unless she lives there...?

You won't be flicking open a Dragonfly. At least not the one I own. I'm lucky if I don't have to open it with two hands because of the diminutive size.
    Thanks! My speed reading skill need improvement..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The only problem with that blade, Sidhe, I mean Totem, is that if she's not an aficionado of sharpening, it's not the easiest blade profile to keep up with.

Of course, dad can help with his Sharpmaker.
    I got my Sharpmaker this weekend, because of your recommendation. I like it a lot.
    #RESIST

First thought was "Spyderco Dragonfly." I'd get the ZDP-189 version.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    RoyG

Right now, I am navigating the home knife rules which preclude a small fixed blade. I am familiar with the NYC flick issues and will come up with solution for that locale at the appropriate time.

I was thinking something with a wharncliffe blade given the utility nature of such a design (and ease of sharpening).

User Tag List