Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: St Peterbug non-Police

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    So, when the social workers screen a call they can’t handle that requires the police...

SW: Help.

The Police: 10-4, make a hole, coming in hot.

Right.
    How much of the LE time the social workers save will be spent rescuing social workers in over their heads?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

New online college classes forming for social intervention undergrad degree.

Operators standing by to take your call.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

AMC, 100% agree on the intent of this. It’s not to free up hard charging cops by unburdening them from calls they should have never been sent to and get them back out on the streets hunting criminals. But a gal can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Right.
    How much of the LE time the social workers save will be spent rescuing social workers in over their heads?
    Boldly go where no unarmed man has gone before will be their motto.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    New online college classes forming for social intervention undergrad degree.

Operators standing by to take your call.
    This is more accurate than most might think.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    This will not lead to a return to, much less an increase in "proactive police work". That train has left the station. Less crime isn't the goal here. When we realize and accept that fact, the nonsense starts to make sense.
    Agreed. I think the intent is to minimize police contacts with citizens...especially citizens who fit a certain demographic. The idea being that less contacts = less UoF. I’m convinced their goal is to effectively outlaw proactive LE and have cops sit at their stations like firefighters. Just work out and play video games until someone calls to report a violent crime in progress.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The Law Enforcement Section exists as a resource for the discussion of training and equipment for law enforcement officers in the performance of their sworn duties. All members of Pistol-Forum, whatever their profession, are welcome to participate in and contribute to the LE Section, but keep the discussion confined to the topics of LE training and equipment.

There is an opportunity here to have an actual discussion on what sorts of runs that have either traditionally or recently been piled on the police's plate that might be addressed by non-sworn personnel. Given recruitment and training challenges many departments face, this is a discussion worth having even if the politics behind any given city's implementation are questionable. I locked this thread for now to give everyone a chance to see this, as I'd rather this not be wasted with a bunch of clutter, sidebars, and nonsense. I will reopen the thread at some point.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    My problem with this idea is where is the money coming from? I’m sure it will come from the police budget. So that means less police officers available to make way for social workers. When (not if) the social workers get assaulted and injured there will be workers comp claims. There will be disability claims. What about pay and benefits? I understand the thought process behind this idea but they are putting the horse in front of the wagon. Plus my on the job experience with social workers was that they were not big fans of the 24/7 schedule and The on call often would not come out.
    My department had a ride along program for a short period of time (the chief had a side gig as a community college teacher so we got interns and community policing ride alongs) we had a local minister that came out on rice alongs more than a few times. He would offer help and counseling on our calls. It was funny and kind of sad watching people tell him to fuck off.
    Societies social problems can not be solved by the police.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 07-15-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My problem with this idea is where is the money coming from? I’m sure it will come from the police budget. So that means less police officers available to make way for social workers. When (not if) the social workers get assaulted and injured there will be workers comp claims. There will be disability claims. What about pay and benefits? I understand the thought process behind this idea but they are putting the horse in front of the wagon. Plus my on the job experience with social workers was that they were not big fans of the 24/7 schedule and The on call often would not come out.
    My department had a ride along program for a short period of time (the chief had a side gig as a community college teacher so we got interns and community policing ride alongs) we had a local minister that came out on rice alongs more than a few times. He would offer help and counseling on our calls. It was funny and kind of sad watching people tell him to fuck off.
    Societies social problems can not be solved by the police.
    Many are not amenable to having jobs where they are told to do things that they do not like. In my realm social workers have mostly been women with families where they served the traditional role of mother. There certainly is nothing wrong with this choice. These women are making essential contributions and giving back to society. Working shifts would be most inconvenient. Further in my town cops and firemen have incomes that are twice those of social workers. That was also true in my case of being a health inspector. The point is that those performing social work/shift work and then putting themselves in harms way will rightfully demand higher wages. So to start with, these plans will have growing pains, and after time, they may cost more than some thought. But I see how the idea has merit. At heart I'm a social worker type guy but one who has perhaps more street knowledge than most in this group. I see planning pitfalls, and I see bitter competition for funds.

User Tag List