Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: St Peterbug non-Police

This is close to where I live. I’ll have to see how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    W
    The next obvious issue will be how many, how badly and how quickly will we see these folks getting stomped into a greasy spot or killed on these calls? I'd venture to say quite a few and fairly soon.
    I say we let them be the guinea pigs in St Pete if they want to be. it'll sort itself out sooner or later.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I say we let them be the guinea pigs in St Pete if they want to be. it'll sort itself out sooner or later.
    Not just that, but remember the old saying that a conservative is a liberal who got mugged. It's a chance for people to get some up close experience with the crazy, drugged, evil part of society. If that's what it takes for people to understand the reality of LE work, it's a positive in my book.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Outstanding, you do you Peteburgh.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Intoxicated individuals - Depends on what they are doing. Why are we responding to begin with?
    Mental health crises - Again, depends on what they are doing. Why are we responding to begin with?
    Drug overdose - Good. I don't carry Narcan. All I do is watch you lay there until EMS or a cop who took the Narcan course shows up.
    Disorderly intoxication - Good luck with that.
    Suicide crises - Since current policy is let them kill themselves if they are the only ones at risk, give it a go.
    Homeless complaints and panhandling - Current policy doesn't allow for any enforcement anyway. Court ordered stay against enforcing panhandling regulations locally, so why send anyone?
    Neighborhood disputes - Our prosecutor has a arbitration service for this sort of thing.
    Truancy, or disorderly minors - Good. Let's get cops out of the Dial-a-Dad rotation.
    Disorderly juveniles at elementary schools - Holy shit, can school administration not handle disruptions from the 10 and under crowd without a cop? What the actual fuck?

I see a lot of risk for a well meaning social worker type.
    Give it a go. I'd also recommend non-police for traffic and parking issues, accident response, animal related issues, runaways/non-endangered missing persons, and probably a few other traditional police areas I'm not thinking of. Society has put more and more on the plate of the police without any increase in required training, and then further eaten into training budgets with things like "respectful interaction with LGBTIA5" classes and implicit bias training. Imagine if those hours were used for basic negotiator training instead, but that's getting off topic.

There's a role for people more specialized in, say homeless outreach or addiction therapy, to do things that police don't have the training or time to really address. So, best of luck.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Give it a go. I'd also recommend non-police for traffic and parking issues, accident response, animal related issues, runaways/non-endangered missing persons, and probably a few other traditional police areas I'm not thinking of. Society has put more and more on the plate of the police without any increase in required training, and then further eaten into training budgets with things like "respectful interaction with LGBTIA5" classes and implicit bias training. Imagine if those hours were used for basic negotiator training instead, but that's getting off topic.

There's a role for people more specialized in, say homeless outreach or addiction therapy, to do things that police don't have the training or time to really address. So, best of luck.
    I’m with you on this. I understand that these types of calls have the potential to turn bad and lead to a UoF. So does every other type of call, though. Most of the time, these calls don’t lead to a UoF and the officers just talk to people. If an unarmed social worker responds, they can talk to people just as well as the police can. Some people who might choose to fight a police officer just for the hell of it might choose not to fight a social worker because there’s much less to be gained in terms of street cred. If the call goes bad and the subject assaults the social worker, then a violent crime has now been committed and the police have something appropriate to respond to.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Suicide crises - Since current policy is let them kill themselves if they are the only ones at risk, give it a go.
    Dude, you kill me, or rather your policy does.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Dude, you kill me, or rather your policy does.
    OT, but a quick, dark, captain obvious sidebar is that most people killed by firearms in the US are, by default, killed by a member of their own race, gender, and class.

Too soon?

In the spirit of pluralism, let's see how this plays out. I'd be interested to see how it works; maybe we'll be surprised (maybe not).
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Having spent 30 yrs as an LEO it is my learned opinion the "domestic disturbance and a traffic stop" are the two most dangerous situations a patrol officer can get into, you just don't know what is going to happen and how it is going to turn out. If they want to send a counselor to handle domestic calls I say more power to them.
    Tell me about the rabbits George. Of Mice and Men

User Tag List