Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P320 full size pistol

Sig Sauer P320 full size pistol

Hi, Guys,

Just purchased a Sig Sauer P320 9mm pistol from guns.com. When I got the gun and brought it home, I occasionally checked the gun and found something interesting. The space between the slider and the grip module seems extensive in the barrel section. I can basically squeeze it close. I have attached a video clip to show this. My question is: is this normal? or poor workmanship? Will it affect its performance or safety of use? Anyone has seen the same? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/RP9KyVT7Jq4
    Last edited by jcattletown; 07-12-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: change video clip

All four of my P320s exhibit the same kind of play, including a full sized RX, an X-Carry RX, an X-Compact and an X5 Legion. They are all 100% reliable and more accurate than I am. Go out and shoot it and enjoy it.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    All four of my P320s exhibit the same kind of play, including a full sized RX, an X-Carry RX, an X-Compact and an X5 Legion. They are all 100% reliable and more accurate than I am. Go out and shoot it and enjoy it.
    Thank you for the reply. Seems it is not a design defect. I am happy to know that. Thank you again.

Both of my P320s do this, as do all my polymer guns to some degree. It's not necessary for the slide and frame to lock up tightly.

You've made an excellent choice. There's nothing wrong with it . Shoot it, become proficient with it, enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcattletown View Post
    Hi, Guys,

Just purchased a Sig Sauer P320 9mm pistol from guns.com.
    https://youtu.be/RP9KyVT7Jq4

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Both of my P320s do this, as do all my polymer guns to some degree. It's not necessary for the slide and frame to lock up tightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    You've made an excellent choice. There's nothing wrong with it . Shoot it, become proficient with it, enjoy it.
    Thank you guys for the comments. OK, I went to the range to shoot it the first time, but something unexpected happened. The gun failed to chamber the barrel. When I pulled the slider back and released it, it was supposed to carry a bullet into the barrel. However, the slider did not go all the way to the front and stopped about a quarter inch before the end. I have attached a picture to show you how it looks like (yellow arrow). What is going on with it? It is a brand new gun for God's sake. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Thanks.

Sig Sauer P320 F9B.pdf

Thank you guys for the comments. OK, I went to the range to shoot it the first time, but something unexpected happened. The gun failed to chamber the barrel. When I pulled the slider back and released it, it was supposed to carry a bullet into the barrel. However, the slider did not go all the way to the front and stopped about a quarter inch before the end. I have attached a picture to show you how it looks like (yellow arrow). What is going on with it? It is a brand new gun for God's sake. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Thanks.
    No worries, this isn't unusual. Most likely you're not using enough force, or you're slowing the slide's forward motion with your hand. Even something as simple as racking the slide requires proper technique and more force than you'd think. Google some videos and practice! This one seems decent enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSiOq_uvCmg

This guy mentions your exact malfunction and his main point is "don't overthink it":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oecdE4OLf6Y

Of course the gun behaves a little different when loaded with ammo, so I recommend buying some snap caps (a.k.a dummy rounds) to practice with. You can probably find some at your local range/shop. Yes, they seem expensive but remember they can be used hundreds of times and are well worth it. This is a good brand if you want to buy online:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOM-15116-Lu...dp/B0002IKANW/

You'll find experts all over this forum recommending a lot of "dry-fire" practice, which means practicing safely at home but WITHOUT LIVE AMMO.

Occasionally (VERY occasionally with a good gun and ammo) your style of malfunction can happen on its own. Keeping the gun pointed downrange, just smack the back of the slide with the palm of your hand to bring it properly into battery.

Keep documenting your experiences with the gun, good or bad. That's a habit that will serve you well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's also possible there is something about the combination of the cartridge and the chamber that is preventing the cartridge from entering fully. This will keep the barrel from rising into the slide, and thus the slide from moving forward into battery.

Either the cartridge or the chamber or both may be out of spec, or there could be debris in the chamber. The easiest is to inspect for debris, and inspect the cartridge for a proper taper crimp. If you are using inexpensive or reloaded ammo, it's possible it was not sized correctly or crimped properly. I had a whole case of .380 from Geco that was not properly crimped and caused feeding issues. I bought an L. E. Wilson case gauge, and more than half the rounds wouldn't "plunk" into the case. I had already purchased the equipment to reload .380, so I ran all the cases that failed to "plunk" in the gauge through the crimp die, and they all plunked. I have had no failures to function with that ammo since.

I've also had a P220 where the slide was not machined properly, and the barrel hood (the square part that should nest into the slide when in battery) was an interference fit due to the extra material on the slide. The recoil spring was able to overcome it, but it was galling the slide and barrel material, and I believe had also taken out the rails on the first frame that slide/barrel combo had been installed on. (I bought it used, and got what appeared to be a brand new frame with a well-broken-in slide and barrel assembly on top.) It was an obvious enough problem that I was able to fix it myself, and no more issues.

If you don't find some obvious issue with the ammo or debris, I'd have an armorer or gunsmith take a look at it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    Keeping the gun pointed downrange, just smack the back of the slide with the palm of your hand to bring it properly into battery..

Did you get to shoot it?
    Often, new firearms have a larger than typical amount of lube from the factory. This may be contributing to the slide not coming fully into battery. A good cleaning may be in order; follow directions per the user manual. As mentioned, try other ammo as sometimes the projectile shape may be problematic. Keep us posted.

Sig Sauer P320 F9B.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Do this.

Did you get to shoot it?
    Often, new firearms have a larger than typical amount of lube from the factory. This may be contributing to the slide not coming fully into battery. A good cleaning may be in order; follow directions per the user manual. As mentioned, try other ammo as sometimes the projectile shape may be problematic. Keep us posted.
    I went to the range last weekend but failed to shoot due to the problems encountered which I had no idea of. Both ArgentFix and OlongJohnson provided valuable tips above and I am going to follow the instructions to see if the situation improves. I will order some snap caps and practice at home first before going to the range again. The ammo I have is Blazer FMJ 9mm with brass casing that I ordered online. Will let you folks know as I move forward. Thank you all for the good information.

User Tag List