Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: LHD Bonhomme Richard burning right now in in port in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I should have been more vocal with my prediction that 1) they would scrap it and 2) would announce it around the holi-daze when folks were otherwise distracted.
    Looks like they've been in the process of scrapping it for 3 months:
    Ver Hage said harvesting of some systems has been happening since September and will continue.

Site Supporter

Damn...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Reports that a sailor is being investigated for possible arson in relation to the fire...

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...-investigation
    Late to the party...this was the first ship I got to do work ups on after it was commissioned. 23 hrs later I was able to retire and I’ll I’ve got to say is F*ck 2020 and hope they hang whatever piece of $hit responsible.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    They mentioned the option of converting it to a destroyer or submarine tender. I didn’t know the Navy was thinking of building them again.

I’ve been of the opinion that whosoever made the decision to scrap the tender fleet should have been shot.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Arson charges for a sailor.

https://news.usni.org/2021/07/29/nav...s-assault-ship

On July 29, charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice were brought forth against a Navy Sailor in response to evidence found during the criminal investigation into the fire started on USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) on July 12, 2020. Evidence collected during the investigation is sufficient to direct a preliminary hearing in accordance with due process under the military justice system. The Sailor was a member of Bonhomme Richard’s crew at the time and is accused of starting the fire.

Vice Adm. Steve Koehler, commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet is considering court-martial charges and has directed a preliminary hearing at which an impartial hearing officer will make determinations and recommendations required by the UCMJ prior to any further trial proceedings – including whether or not there is probable cause to believe an offense has been committed and to offer a recommendation as to the disposition of the case.
    #RESIST

He'll get to know the brig Marines real well before he gets discharged. He just shipped over for 20.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-29-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I’ll wait to see the proof. Pinning the blame on a junior sailor isn’t unknown in the surface Navy.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I’ll wait to see the proof. Pinning the blame on a junior sailor isn’t unknown in the surface Navy.
    It sounds thin so far: https://news.yahoo.com/us-sailor-all...205311321.html

WASHINGTON — A Navy report has concluded there were sweeping failures by commanders, crew members and others that fueled the July 2020 arson fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard, calling the massive five-day blaze in San Diego preventable and unacceptable.

While one sailor has been charged with setting the fire, the more than 400-page report, obtained by The Associated Press, lists three dozen officers and sailors whose failings either directly led to the ship's loss or contributed to it. The findings detailed widespread lapses in training, coordination, communication, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control.
    Specifically, the report said failures of Vice Adm. Brown; Rear Adm. Scott Brown, the fleet maintenance officer for the Pacific Fleet; Rear Adm. William Greene, the fleet maintenance officer for U.S. Fleet Forces Command; Rear. Adm. Eric Ver Hage, commander of the regional maintenance center; Rear Adm. Bette Bolivar, commander of Navy Region Southwest; Capt. Mark Nieswiadomy, commander of Naval Base San Diego; and Capt. Tony Rodriguez, commander of Amphibious Squadron 5, all "contributed to the loss of the ship."

The report also directly faults the ship's three top officers — Capt. Gregory Thoroman, the commanding officer; Capt. Michael Ray, the executive officer; and Command Master Chief Jose Hernandez — for not effectively ensuring the readiness and condition of the ship.

"The execution of his duties created an environment of poor training, maintenance and operational standards that directly led to the loss of the ship," the report said of Thoroman. And it said Ray, Hernandez and Capt. David Hart, commander of the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, also failed in their responsibilities, which directly led to the loss of the ship.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/19/10474...stating-ship-f

I'd be interested to hear informed opposing viewpoints to the Navy report.

The cat's out of the bag about the Navy chronically understaffing ships to the point that it's physically impossible to hit all the required wickets.

So, it seems blatantly obvious to me that blaming everyone in the chain of command from top-to-bottom is deflecting blame from the fact that everyone is set up to fail...it's a "pray and rotate" situation, i.e. pray that nothing happens and do what you can until you rotate out to the next assignment. There's no way you can convince me that every single officer in that boat's command and support structure were negligent due to factors actually in their realistic span of control.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

The cat's out of the bag about the Navy chronically understaffing ships to the point that it's physically impossible to hit all the required wickets.

There's no way you can convince me that every single officer in that boat's command and support structure were negligent due to factors actually in their realistic span of control.
    Sincere question: What needs to happen to the Navy, with whose authority, to fix the staffing, maintenance, and warship-skills deficiencies?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List