Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Administration Denies Reconstruction Funding for MN

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's literally something that the federal government has no legal authority and no mechanism to execute.
    "Pen and a phone" seemed to work for the last guy.
    But, your right.
    Needs to be a better solution to the infrastructure rebuilding then taking it out of the citizens pockets thru increased taxation.

Part of Federal disaster relief to the states is the concept of a unified union, that we are all in this together.

I would prefer not see the "us vs them" any more than it already is.
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    but this expectation that big daddy FedGov pay for everything is ridiculous.
    Nobody said everything. Some help, though, is not a ridiculous ask.

Quote Originally Posted by tjmitchem View Post
    None. But we're not talking about houses, we're talking about businesses. If someone burns down your house, you're likely not out of a job unless you work from home. If someone burns down a Target, you might have hundreds of people out of work.
    And?
    Target is a multi-$B company, they can afford insurance just like I do, just like my business does.
    Target pays unemployment insurance just like I do.

Federal disaster money is just another tax payer funded subsidy of the big insurance companies and big business... prove me wrong.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Federal disaster money is just another tax payer funded subsidy of the big insurance companies and big business... prove me wrong.
    I don't have to prove you wrong. You made the claim, so prove yourself right.

And on that note, I'm out of this particular argument. Let's agree to disagree.

I don't have to prove you wrong. You made the claim, so prove yourself right.

And on that note, I'm out of this particular argument. Let's agree to disagree.
    Don't be out of this discussion, you are actually a stakeholder.
    You're voice actually has merit, since the incident directly affected you.
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke

Perhaps the good voters will be motivated to elect better officials who won't stand by and watch this happen next time...or not

I suppose we'll see which way the politics plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am sure they will raise the same argument when Florida gets hit by the next hurricane.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    I am a resident of the region of the state in question (buildings 2.5 blocks from my house were burned to the ground, and neighbors & friends had their businesses looted clean)
    and I agree with TGS.
    Governor Walz was a freaking National Guard non-com for 24 years and damned well knows what he did by his inaction. None of this was unavoidable.

If a fiscal conservative Democrat challenges him over this, they might well oust him from office.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Don't be out of this discussion, you are actually a stakeholder.
    You're voice actually has merit, since the incident directly affected you.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Perhaps the good voters will be motivated to elect better officials who won't stand by and watch this happen next time...or not
    I'm not absolutely sure the officials made the wrong call, at least not initially. Things up here felt very very weird when it first kicked off. I got the feeling, when I drove down Lake St. for a look, that this shit might blow up completely. It's hard to describe. Luckily, nothing serious occurred north of 694 (the bypass).

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

I suppose we'll see which way the politics plays out.
    Indeed, what's the Trump approval in that state now?

True.

I'm not absolutely sure the officials made the wrong call, at least not initially. Things up here felt very very weird when it first kicked off. I got the feeling, when I drove down Lake St. for a look, that this shit might blow up completely. It's hard to describe. Luckily, nothing serious occurred north of 694 (the bypass).
    Do you think giving up the precinct house was a good call?
    Watching this unfold as your Western neighbor, I thought that was pretty much the "permission slip" to "roll tide" for the rioters.

But, you were a lot closer to ground zero than I.

User Tag List