Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Administration Denies Reconstruction Funding for MN

I understand the motivation to punish bad behavior by Minnesota's elected officials, but MN's citizens also pay into the federal coffers. Those taxpayers deserve representation. That's pretty much as American as apple pie. Or it's supposed to be.

So...punish the guilty, not the victims.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I don't look at it as punishing bad behavior.....rather just not being part & parcel of it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by tjmitchem View Post
    Am I suddenly not an American now?
    No. And the folks in MN deserve to same protection an aid as anyone else.
    I hope the administration reconsiders this.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Maybe the fed should come in and administer the process in person, vs just sending it to the state for disbursement.
    Good opportunity to win "hearts and minds".
    That's literally something that the federal government has no legal authority and no mechanism to execute.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I understand the motivation to punish bad behavior by Minnesota's elected officials, but MN's citizens also pay into the federal coffers. Those taxpayers deserve representation. That's pretty much as American as apple pie. Or it's supposed to be.

So...punish the guilty, not the victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    No. And the folks in MN deserve to same protection an aid as anyone else.
    I hope the administration reconsiders this.
    It should be possible to give more than "like" to posts. I could not possibly agree more.
    Last edited by tjmitchem; 07-12-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Are you not insured?
    What's the difference between an arsonist targeting my house (which I would receive zero federal aid to recover from) and arsonists targeting 1000 houses?
    The state and muni property damaged should be rebuilt from state and muni funds/taxes.

Why is this a federal money issue at all?

BTW: I feel the same way when it comes to hurricanes, tornadoes and floods. The Feds should step in with logistical and manpower support as requested, financial recovery is on the individual or the local/state entity and their insurers.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

When Minnesota is given the option of only paying for the federal programs it wants, then we can tell them sorry, you opted out of that program.

Until then I see no basis for denying American citizens the protections of the federal government and its resources.

Talk about balkanization.

As for "throw the bums out" (and enforce the rule of law), ...I'm all for that, and hopefully Minnesotans will be too.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Only a simpleton would think that damage that occurred as a direct result of deployable assets being ordered to stand aside is the same as damage from a natural disaster.
    I'll assume you also favor cutting off all COVID related aid to Florida since the state government is playing games with pandemic response?

Are you not insured?
    I certainly am.

What's the difference between an arsonist targeting my house (which I would receive zero federal aid to recover from) and arsonists targeting 1000 houses?
    None. But we're not talking about houses, we're talking about businesses. If someone burns down your house, you're likely not out of a job unless you work from home. If someone burns down a Target, you might have hundreds of people out of work.

Also, anyone attempting to burn down my house gets one choice: what caliber would you prefer?

Also, better return those COVID-19 stimulus checks

Why should federal money be used to rebuild private businesses and homes?
    Why should federal money be used to rebuild city or state buildings?

I'm all for federal assets arriving to help maintain order and restore basic infrastructure as well as offer logistical support in the immediate aftermath of major disasters, but this expectation that big daddy FedGov pay for everything is ridiculous.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List