Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Administration Denies Reconstruction Funding for MN

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    So those 'lunatics of the first order' just get away with totally ignoring their duties and flushing any semblance of law and order down the toilet? Where's the recourse? What else could be done short of sending in the National Guard or willfully relieving those elected official of their offices and positions for deliberate refusal to carry out the responsibilities of the office?

Too many people cheered when they did this dumb shit, and now the people who didn't cheer get punished just the same. Sometimes the whole formation does pushups and life isn't fair.

Well said.
    Don't forget Los Alamos and the entire circus running up there to support LANL, or MacGregor range and the rest of the Ft Bliss Training Complex ranges and other training areas that are largely in NM.
    They have elections in MN, OR and WA. When businesses and inhabitants of those communities get tired of riots they'll elect someone who will deal with it. Especially when the bill comes due and the city has to reimburse those businesses. The city might take a different approach next time after they pay out 25 million in damages to local business or whatever the bill ends up being. It won't be cheap. I doubt the fed is going to give business owners any relief (other than income taxes) because that just isn't their problem. If the city doesn't solve this problem businesses will just leave and urban decay starts.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They ran Trump out of NYC. Time for some payback.
    It appears there's more to that than personal squabbles.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...4pa-story.html

Legislation from Councilman Steve Levin (D-Brooklyn) would require the city to move all 17,000 single homeless adults in the shelter system into individual hotel rooms, the idea being to protect them from the spread of the highly infectious coronavirus. Since the start of the outbreak, the city has moved about 9,000 homeless individuals into double-occupancy hotel rooms, according to the Department of Homeless Services.

For weeks, his office said it was unsure whether the Federal Emergency Management Agency would reimburse the costs of hotel rooms, transportation, security and food, which the administration placed at around $500 million over the course of six months.

Levin cited a March letter from FEMA stating it would pay for 75% of those costs, but not for health and behavioral services. Johnson’s office placed the costs to the city for hotel rooms alone at about $2.5 million per month.
    My understanding is a lot of those homeless folks have backgrounds and exhibit behavior tha prohibit them from being around children and in the school zones that the hotels are located in.

Meanwhile, de Blasio's wife's personal retinue costs the taxpayers 2 million a year.
    https://nypost.com/2020/08/20/bill-d...-a-year-staff/

I think New York doesn't deserve any more federal money until they can start running their state like someone else is going to bail them out. I think it goes beyond the president and the state officials not getting along.

Site Supporter
    They have elections in MN, OR and WA. When businesses and inhabitants of those communities get tired of riots they'll elect someone who will deal with it. Especially when the bill comes due and the city has to reimburse those businesses. The city might take a different approach next time after they pay out 25 million in damages to local business or whatever the bill ends up being. It won't be cheap. I doubt the fed is going to give business owners any relief (other than income taxes) because that just isn't their problem. If the city doesn't solve this problem businesses will just leave and urban decay starts.
    All I saw about business reimbursements have been the smarmy 'encouragement' to 'file a claim' with their insurance companies. I'd be pleasantly surprised if any of those cities are actually shelling out money to destroyed business owners without coercion like a settlement of some kind.

The businesses are already leaving and the urban decay is in full swing.

If we start down this road of retribution because the states aren't running their government's the way the fed thinks they should what do you think will happen? I think I know. Probably a federal tax payer revolt.
    Actually, the smart move would be to move.
    Texas is right next door and is looking much better as Gov Karen drives NM even further into poverty.
    One more significant state tax increase or commie shit starts being tolerated in my corner of the state and I'm moving east.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

In all honesty, I think the OG La Raza types seem more ready to beat rioter ass than help play in it. It's the whiny over-indulged UNM kids that seem eager to start shit.

I was out shopping in public the other day with my Geissele 'G' ball cap on. It doesn't say anything except their stylized 'G' logo. This straight-up Homie with Locs on 'made me' and surprised me with a 'Guy-zelly makes good shit, bro, I got their trigger in my AR and it's fuckin' sweet dog'. I was surprised but I awkwardly said something like 'yeah I like their stuff too'. Without skipping a beat, homie goes off with something like 'man if those fuckin rioters try to fuck up burque they just dunno who they fuckin with, eh, we ain't down with that shit'
    At that point I was wondering if I was getting candid-camera trolled, but him and his clique of 3 other homies were just nodding and affirming what this homie was saying. Lead homie bitched about the masks and bitched about how his uncle's restaurant was closed for good and bitched about how all of his family has lost work or jobs and they're fed up with how it's all being handled. I couldn't help but nod and agree that it was all stupid, and that I was sorry to hear about his uncle's business.

It was a totally awkward and unexpected conversation, but it left me feeling like more people are pissed off than I would have guessed.
    Nice.
    Maybe they'll clean the hipster commies out of Nob Hill then.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

This keeps up, I'm joining the Sovereign Citizens and going a-traveling.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The DoD wouldn't have that, as there's a shitload going on at these bases that would not be easy to move. They tried to BRAC Cannon and Kirtland at various points in the past 30 years and that basically got laughed out of the room.

On that note, Fuck the railrunner, fuck the stupid ass Abq Rapid Transit (ART) buses that ruined all of Central, fuck all these hippy dippy stupid ass feel good and pretend to be more like a big city projects that vacuum up shitloads of money for pointless things almost nobody benefits from. I have a pretty wide social circle that includes some super liberal types and not *ONE* person I know wanted the Railrunner or the ART project. It was rammed down our throats.

Back to my prior point about how I don't want more taxpayer money spent in NM, I want it to be better used and managed in ways that make sense instead of ways that make for good photo ops and nepotistic pork-barrel spending. Overall there's zero real taxpayer control over how taxpayer money is spent so I don't fucking worry about it. It's either gone or spent on dumb shit, and when some funding gets cut, of course they cut the visible things like 'school lunches' or other political optical tricks to make the big bad evil guy they're trying to humiliate look like an evil asshole. It's all bullshit.

You keep trying to shift this back to NM, when the problem isn't NM it's NY and Seattle and Portland and those cities that had leadership cheer on their own destruction and now expects the same administration they've lambasted to come save them. Fuck that.
    I'll be totally honest with you, dude - I stand by my first post in this thread. If NY or Seattle or any of these other big fancy cities are so big and fancy and 'woke' and fucking special then they can get on with their own business and handle it themselves with their own money. If folks like you take umbrage at that like it's unfair, then start a recall election or something. Or move. Or accept the fact that as taxpayers we're always getting fucked no matter what and it's silly to worry about who gets brought to climax over it.
    I'm not shifting anything. Seattle has some pretty F'd up gov't. But ABQ has a pretty high crime rate. Probably in the top 3 metro areas in the US and you want to blast Seattle, Portland, NYC, and Minneapolis as having poor leadership in a riot? I'm familiar with ABQ because I've spent some time in the city recently. I have relatives there. I'm not just somebody picking up facts off the internet. When people start picking apart the leadership of a city they don't know anything about maybe they need to look at where they live before they get too righteous and indignant.

I can tell you one thing that's for sure. If you cut off all federal money to every state in the US, NM would be the #1 loser.

Site Supporter
    I'm not shifting anything. Seattle has some pretty F'd up gov't. But ABQ has a pretty high crime rate. Probably in the top 3 metro areas in the US and you want to blast Seattle, Portland, NYC, and Minneapolis as having poor leadership in a riot? I'm familiar with ABQ because I've spent some time in the city recently. I have relatives there. I'm not just somebody picking up facts off the internet. When people start picking apart the leadership of a city they don't know anything about maybe they need to look at where they live before they get too righteous and indignant.

I can tell you one thing that's for sure. If you cut off all federal money to every state in the US, NM would be the #1 loser.
    I think we're talking past each other here. The issue at hand is that very bad city leadership that encouraged riots and widespread destruction from those riots are getting Fed money withheld. What that money affects isn't congruent with the causality of those problems, but it does make things worse for the electorate of those leaders that made bad decisions, thereby making it worse for those leaders.

ABQ and NM have tons of terrible city leadership issues and most of the problems with crime are due to similar feel-good activism from Judicial benches and DA offices that fail miserably to punish repeat offenders/career criminals but are delighted to throw the whole book at anyone with a job and a clean record.
    Despite that bad leadership, NM hasn't permitted widespread and ongoing destruction. We had a taste of it downtown near Central and 3rd and along that classic downtown block, and most of that stuff is still boarded up. One of my favorite local restaurants, owned by family friends, is downtown and damn near got caught in that destruction. But they're still closed anyway due to COVID problems.

Again, I have zero problem with the Feds withholding money to leadership that allowed massive destruction to happen, particularly when there's example after example of gross misuse of other taxpayer funds by those leaders. I believe that should compel leaders truly interested in their electorate to stop spending money on dumb shit (e.g. hotel stays for homeless people because of COVID) so that things like school lunches stay paid for. Short of using emergency or war powers or similar Federal authority to remove those traitorous leaders by force, I don't see another effective option to hold them accountable for what honestly should be seen as treason to the cities and communities they're obligated to serve.
    Instead, of course, they'll let the Federal funding cuts hit the most visibly 'bad' things so that they can say evil OrangeManBad wants poor kids to miss lunches, instead of being real and saying that OrangeManBad wants those local leaders to fund lunches instead of free hotels for homeless people. Or that OrangeMan is evil because he won't let FEMA to come in and swipe the proverbial card to clean up the destruction those leaders openly cheered on.

Your argument against that seems to be that my home state has a crime problem and gets a lot of Federal funding too. Well, our pants-on-head idiots in charge around here might be fucking up a lot of things, but they didn't let half of ABQ get burned down to appease some screaming brats with verified twitter accounts. That's my point.

I think we're talking past each other here. The issue at hand is that very bad city leadership that encouraged riots and widespread destruction from those riots are getting Fed money withheld. What that money affects isn't congruent with the causality of those problems, but it does make things worse for the electorate of those leaders that made bad decisions, thereby making it worse for those leaders.

ABQ and NM have tons of terrible city leadership issues and most of the problems with crime are due to similar feel-good activism from Judicial benches and DA offices that fail miserably to punish repeat offenders/career criminals but are delighted to throw the whole book at anyone with a job and a clean record.
    Despite that bad leadership, NM hasn't permitted widespread and ongoing destruction. We had a taste of it downtown near Central and 3rd and along that classic downtown block, and most of that stuff is still boarded up. One of my favorite local restaurants, owned by family friends, is downtown and damn near got caught in that destruction. But they're still closed anyway due to COVID problems.

Again, I have zero problem with the Feds withholding money to leadership that allowed massive destruction to happen, particularly when there's example after example of gross misuse of other taxpayer funds by those leaders. I believe that should compel leaders truly interested in their electorate to stop spending money on dumb shit (e.g. hotel stays for homeless people because of COVID) so that things like school lunches stay paid for. Short of using emergency or war powers or similar Federal authority to remove those traitorous leaders by force, I don't see another effective option to hold them accountable for what honestly should be seen as treason to the cities and communities they're obligated to serve.
    Instead, of course, they'll let the Federal funding cuts hit the most visibly 'bad' things so that they can say evil OrangeManBad wants poor kids to miss lunches, instead of being real and saying that OrangeManBad wants those local leaders to fund lunches instead of free hotels for homeless people. Or that OrangeMan is evil because he won't let FEMA to come in and swipe the proverbial card to clean up the destruction those leaders openly cheered on.

Your argument against that seems to be that my home state has a crime problem and gets a lot of Federal funding too. Well, our pants-on-head idiots in charge around here might be fucking up a lot of things, but they didn't let half of ABQ get burned down to appease some screaming brats with verified twitter accounts. That's my point.
    Got it. All of this is probably just a philosophical discussion anyway because of the odds that any fed funds are going to be withheld are pretty slim. I'll wait and see if it actually happens. 2020 could be a real game changer.

Site Supporter
    Got it. All of this is probably just a philosophical discussion anyway because of the odds that any fed funds are going to be withheld are pretty slim....
    Very true - it is all very much philosophical at this point.

....2020 could be a real game changer.
    Boy howdy, talk about a masterpiece of an understatement...

User Tag List