Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who EDC a DA/SA, what's your small gun?

My tiny, NPE/ hike around/ not-in-the-mood-for-holster gun is a Shield 9mm, with the full Apex internal kit & trigger, Crimson Trace Lightguard, and Talon stick on grips.

I normally carry with the 8rnd mag, but will rarely carry with the 7.

I get a gun that's easy to pocket, but also shoots a decent round, has proper sights, is actually comfortable to shoot, accurate, and has a decent trigger.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Langdon PX4 Compact. If I’m not carrying a 1911, it’s a Centurion or the PX4.

Just got a Sparks VM2 for it.

Curious if any of the Beretta carriers have tried the PX4 Subcompact.

Another interesting option might be the now discontinued SIG P224 (Double stack) and P239 (Single stack).

Heavy compared to a polymer competition, but I liked my P224 for what it is. Unfortunately it was designed for P229 mags, not mags for the P226 that I was running as my full size option.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I haven't. To be honest, I've never so much as seen one.

Site Supporter
    I've been a fan of the Sig P239 for long time; it's been my go-to DA/SA carry gun for a while. I own two of them--one in 9mm and a DAK in .357 Sig (now looking at getting the parts to swap the DAK over to DA/SA--the DAK can be frustrating). The P239 is my "if I could only have one gun" gun. It's small enough in the all right dimensions to be "inconspicuously totable" in most situations. But it shoots just about as well as anything. Mine have been very reliable and rarely hear about P239s that aren't.

Also, I do realize leaving that screw exposed when I wrapped-up the grip was pointless (I'll have to peel off the grip-tape anyway). But it seemed like the right idea at the time... I digress...

Name:  image0 (1).jpg
Views: 700
Size:  42.4 KB

That said, there are times when I want something smaller...

I had a Sig P230 (.380) which was my "smaller than a P239" option for a while. However, that slot basically got filled by a Kahr K9. The Kahr isn't DA/SA, but the DAO(ish) trigger isn't a barrier to decent shooting, for me. And, subjectively, I feel like the pull is long and heavy enough to offer more peace of mind than a typical striker-fired gun. The footprint of the Kahr is actually a bit smaller than the Sig P230. I tried the Springfield XDe. Ergos didn't really suit me. Didn't shoot it that well. So... here we are...

And...

There's always the Makarov. DA/SA, reliable, accurate. It definitely carries a bit smaller than a P239. In my experience, the Mak is the best of the old-school DA/SA blowbacks (e.g., PPs and PPKs, P230s, P64s--though I haven't tried a Beretta Cheetah). Mine is a tackdriver and for most everyday kinda stuff... I feel like 9 rounds of 9X18 will do the job. Mine fits in the same holster I use for my Kahr.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 07-12-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    (the cat raises his paw)

The PX4 SC is hands-down my favorite EDC semi if what I am wearing can conceal it. Lots of people seem to hate 'em, and I was one of those people myself... until I started working with the SC shown.

This is the one I fussed over- the "teacher's pet, if you will: NP3'd controls, innards and mag bodies; LTT 12# hammer spring; "Carry" levers and homebrewed rubber Talon grip appliques. The PX4 is pocket carried in a DeSantis Super Fly, the 17 rd mag in a Nemesis mag holder (minus the mag adapter, which is only used when shooting for fun).

When I need more than five in something small, this is my first choice.

I would like to see a "Langdonized" version, but that has not happened and apparently won't.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Ruger LCR. Before that it was a 642.

ETA: main carry gun is PX4CC

EDC is a CZ Shadowline Compact.

Small gun was a S&W J frame

Then it was a Ruger LCR

Now it is a Glock G43

But I am experimenting with a Sig P365XL

G43 in front pocket. The gun being small is the harder part of shooting that gun, being a different triggers system is not much trouble IMO.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

User Tag List