Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S./ Texas Lawshield. .... worth the $$$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I think this is a good company. I've been a member for about 7 years. My situation was we had an RV and traveled about 6000 miles every winter. I thought it the best plan out there for that situation. WA state will no longer let me use that company ( anti-gun AG ) because I live in WA but I highly recommend it. I'm still active but will have to find something else this fall.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I was pretty annoyed when the instructor's shilling to get students signed up with Texas Lawshield took up about 45 minutes of my LTC class. That seems to be their deal: Get LTC instructors to use the required legal information aspect of the class to promote this one particular organization, presumably getting a commission for each student who signs up.

I may have even heard of someone starting a class-action suit against them related to that practice.

I think the word shady was used earlier.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I looked into this when I got my CHL and briefly talked to the rep. I was told they do not get involved until you are charged. In my opinion, that makes them useless. It would be nice to be able to consult with a lawyer cheaply immediately after a shooting, but if I'm charged with a crime that will completely ruin my life if convicted, I'm not betting it all on a lawyer I can get for an inexpensive yearly subscription.

Guys, I want to expand on my previous post, from the perspective of a criminal defense attorney.

I can almost guarantee that the criminal defense attorney that you want in your area is not part of this network. Why would they be? They are in demand and can charge premium rates.

If you are signing up for one of these programs, and they are going to pay for your attorney, you are going to get whoever they give you. There is another name for this and that is an "appointed attorney". In this case it is insurance appointing the attorney instead of the government. This is similar to what happens when you get into a car wreck. Sometimes you luck out and you get a great attorney, usually they are pretty mediocre, sometimes they suck. The stakes are lower when it is a fender bender and not your liberty.

I am lucky in that I know the local legal bars well and thus who I would turn to if I had a legal problem in my county, and who I would turn to in surrounding counties. They are different people.

Like anything else, you are going to be best served by doing your homework. This may include vetting and meeting with an attorney in advance of any problems and paying them a "true retainer" to be available in case you need help bonding out, etc. But the members of this forum tend to be analytical and particular, and I know that the collective y'all have the ability to do the work, even if it's not as sexy as selecting the latest and greatest pistol mounted red dot.

As far as I am concerned, I will take the risk of a large financial hit in order to select counsel of my own choosing.

Only a defense attorney could afford a good defense attorney out of pocket.

(I completely understand the message, however.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I can almost guarantee that the criminal defense attorney that you want in your area is not part of this network. Why would they be? They are in demand and can charge premium rates.

If you are signing up for one of these programs, and they are going to pay for your attorney, you are going to get whoever they give you.
    From my earlier post...
    https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/lea...rship-benefits

• While the Network greatly appreciates the contributions of our Affiliated Attorneys, Network members choose the attorney they want representing them after self defense; the Network pays the attorney the member designates, whether that is an affiliated attorney or not.
    And... the deciding factor for me... YMMV

• Our Advisory Board is comprised of leading experts in the field of armed self defense including John Farnam, Massad Ayoob, Tom Givens, James Fleming, Emanuel Kapelsohn and Dennis Tueller. These industry leaders generously lend their expertise and knowledge to the direction in which the Network grows.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    From my earlier post...
    https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/lea...rship-benefits

And... the deciding factor for me... YMMV
    Then that might be looking into more, in fact, I think I even got signed up as one of its affiliated attorneys as a courtesy or something by Marty after a Rangemaster Tac Con maybe 10 years ago. YMMV, always!

CCW Safe allows one to pick their own attorney. (They may have to be vetted by them first. I forget the details...but Don West is involved in the process, possibly along with others.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List