Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV ray damage to polymer pistols

UV ray damage to polymer pistols

This is my friend's pistol after being exposed to sunlight for 8 -12 hrs a day for a few years as a motor officer. Glocks don't seem to have this issue, but I've seen it happen to multiple M&P's. I can only assume that it's UV damage because the fading seems to be less pronounced for officers working in cars.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    This is my friend's pistol after being exposed to sunlight for 8 -12 hrs a day for a few years as a motor officer. Glocks don't seem to have this issue, but I've seen it happen to multiple M&P's. I can only assume that it's UV damage because the fading seems to be less pronounced for officers working in cars.

A potential argument for "chasis" type pistols like the P320 eyc.

The damage may not just be the result of UV exposure. A contributor could be vehicle emissions and the resulting ozone formation. Ozone is a great oxidizer.

That being said, if Glock polymer does not suffer from this issue and the M&P does, S&W needs to spend some engineering and test effort to resolve it.

What does the plastic look like up front.......trigger guard and dustcover area?

If it's UV damage, the frame will have a "farmer's tan".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What does the plastic look like up front.......trigger guard and dustcover area?

If it's UV damage, the frame will have a "farmer's tan".
    The rest of it is faded as well, but there is a definite tan line along the edges of the holster.

Interesting thread.

I wouldn’t card so much about the UV faded colour, I would want to know if it affects the durability of the frame in any way. That’s where S&W should be looking into.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Also- the chemicals in many common sunblocks and especially deet in bug sprays are not kind to plastics. I suspect a motor guy goes through a lot of the spray on sunblock, especially judging by the shine on the pictured pistol.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Long-term stability of the polymers is something I've wondered about when contemplating cross-generational gun ownership. USPs will take a lot of rounds down the pipe, but they've only been in existence for about a quarter century so far. Wood, steel and aluminum have longer records.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

When I was in motors I did't clean my gun for a month. This was back when I carried a P226 Stainless. All that is dirt of grit from riding on the freeways and getting being drenched in a few rainstorms. Riding in a car wasn't an option so this pistol required constant cleaning and maintenance. No UV damage on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    When I was in motors I did't clean my gun for a month. This was back when I carried a P226 Stainless. All that is dirt of grit from riding on the freeways and getting being drenched in a few rainstorms. Riding in a car wasn't an option so this pistol required constant cleaning and maintenance. No UV damage on this one.

That is wild! Although I am not a motor officer, I do ride motorcycles often. This has given me some food for thought. So interesting. Following this thread for sure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

User Tag List