Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dad Needs Holster Help

Site Supporter

My Dad Needs Holster Help

Maybe I need more help than he does. I need advice how to advise him. Background he’s now 65, just retired. Big fella, 6’4, pushing 350. Wears nothing but overalls. He and my mom approached me a month or so ago, they’re wanting guns to carry. Which is awesome, he probably would have fit the Fudd category most of his life. Grew up hunting and such, and chastised the piss out of me back in 2007 when I took a trip with them and carried. They have now changed their mind.

So I took them out with some guns recently. Got him an M&P 2.0 compact on the way, and headed to try and find my mom a P365XL today. But he thinks he’s going to ankle carry the thing. First off even if it didn’t suck as a carry position to start with, he’s too big.

Anybody got any suggestions for an effective method in overalls???

That's tough. Maybe a warbelt and OWB? Maybe just an AR pistol in the truck? Ankle carry could work, I'm not a fan though. Depends on his footwear.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I did some "duckduckgoing" and found this post on a Mississippi forum from 2013: "I used to get my neighborhood seamstress to sew a pocket to the inside of the bib and reinforce it with heavy-duty elastic at the opening. I could carry my full size 1911 there securely and no one ever noticed. Just keep the galloses tight and the bib won't sag.
    Now, I carry my S&W 642 airweight there and sometimes forget it's even there."

Maybe it will help.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I did some "duckduckgoing" and found this post on a Mississippi forum from 2013: "I used to get my neighborhood seamstress to sew a pocket to the inside of the bib and reinforce it with heavy-duty elastic at the opening. I could carry my full size 1911 there securely and no one ever noticed. Just keep the galloses tight and the bib won't sag.
    Now, I carry my S&W 642 airweight there and sometimes forget it's even there."

Maybe it will help.
    I’d thought perhaps something along that line. The good part is my mom can and probably will help persuade a better direction than what he was thinking.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That's tough. Maybe a warbelt and OWB? Maybe just an AR pistol in the truck? Ankle carry could work, I'm not a fan though. Depends on his footwear.
    I just ordered my first AR pistol kit. He’s been around my carbine a time or two and might get convinced to get one before it’s all said and done. I would not be opposed at all.

At 6’4”, 350, and overalls, he may well be a great candidate for pocket carry. Might mean switching up the gat, but no doubt that the j-frame lifestyle would be effortless for him.

Have you ever seen some of these good old boys with their hands tucked inside the bib of their overalls? Perfect place for a pistol in a holster. Probably faster than pocket carry with your hand in your pocket. My Old Guy gun is a pocket carried J-Frame now. If I have my pants on I'm good. I can also belt carry without removing the J.

Site Supporter

My Dad Needs Holster Help

My first choices would be pocket carry or a universal holster pocket sewn inside the bib, as others suggested. For colder weather, a shoulder holster is worth considering.

I cannot stress enough the need to avoid the ankle holster. Even a Kel-Tec P3AT in a Galco Ankle Light (one of the most comfortable setups I have found) will aggravate the osteoarthritis in my knees. At that size and weight, I assume he has knee problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    At 6’4”, 350, and overalls, he may well be a great candidate for pocket carry. Might mean switching up the gat, but no doubt that the j-frame lifestyle would be effortless for him.
    This was my first thought as well.

User Tag List