Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Another reminder to get a dashcam!

I was trying to wait for the my preferred choice of front and rear – cam setup, but a deal came along for front only and I bought five of them. I'm just going to run one in the rear as well. Separate cameras, separate cards. On the plus side, it means the rear camera is as good as the front camera.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Not sure if this is a good dashcam but it is $65 + tax from amazon. AUKEY 1080P Dual Dash Cams with 2.7” Screen, Full HD Front and Rear Camera, 6-Lane 170° Wide-Angle Lens, G-sensor, and Dual-Port Car Charger. Low risk for returns so I bought one and will think more later. There is a $25 off coupon you can clip and promo code XA2OM5BU for another $60 off. If neither work, try again tomorrow since they appeared to stop working yesterday afternoon for me and I thought I'd missed the sale.

@Mystery - seems you have a lot of experience with dash cams. Thoughts on this particular model, and also what SD cards would you recommend?
    Aukey is a good brand.
    $65 is great price for that DR03.
    It's an older model from 2018 but pretty good video quality.
    Rear camera is also nice.
    Here are some video samples:
    Front:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09K7JTOPklk
    Rear:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKjj5SIl9gs

Front night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fwtj937iqo
    Rear night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwMFoiXOx8

The only issue with dual channel is the wiring part.
    You have to take the liner out and install it if you want it for longer term.
    That means, you have to be careful around the side/head air bags.
    I just route it through the center console under the floor mat to the back as I frequently change dashcams.

As for the SD cards, I have used Samsung, Gskill, Adata, Kingston, Lukas, Transcend, Vantrue, Micro Center etc...
    Last edited by Mystery; 07-14-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Hi guys, I am late this thread, and was hoping to hear thoughts on Garmin 66W, or their dash cam mini.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Hi guys, I am late this thread, and was hoping to hear thoughts on Garmin 66W, or their dash cam mini.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
    Not sure about that one.
    I did try a Garmin GDR33 and wasn't impressed with the quality.

Cool For those who are looking for dashcams, consider the following

Since there are few interested, I'll give some info as I'm self declared dashcam expert.
    For those who are looking for dashcams, consider the following:
    1. Size/Color: Depends upon your objective. If you are trying to show you have dashcam, get big and shiny but if you are afraid someone may break in for the camera, get small black one.
    2. Channels: Single are always good option but dual channel provides coverage on both ends. You can use two cameras independently if you have power source in the rear.
    3. Battery vs super capacitor: Battery only gives around 30 secs to a minute anyways so go for super capacitor. Capacitor are not susceptible to damage in extreme weather conditions.
    4. Good bit rate: For a 1080p, get at least around 13mbps. 15 or higher is ideal. Most dual channel processors limit bitrate to around 10 mbps, not bad but not as good as high bit rate single channel.
    5. Sensor: Most are okay for day time but only few are good for night videos such as Sony Exmor.
    6. Mounting options: Suction cup is great if you want to move the cam around from one vehicle to another or if you don't want it hanging when parking.
      Sticky mount is better if you want to leave it in the car permanently plus it'll be lower profile as suction cup sometimes fall off when temperatures change and hangs much lower.
      Some have power in the mount that is great to take the camera out without messing with the cables.
    7. GPS: It's good to have but not needed. It can backfire in case of an accident if it shows you were speeding. In serious accidents, investigators can figure out the speed by video alone though.
    8. Parking monitor: Most budget ones come with parking monitor/motion sensor but they don't have a pre-buffer. That means, a fast hit and run won't be captured.
    9. Battery pack/hard wiring: Above parking monitor option means you have to have a way to power it. You can hard wire with kits that convert 12v to 5v but it'll deplete the battery and your car may not start.
      Yes, you can set it up with a cut off voltage but if something happens after that, camera will be off.
      So get a good battery pack and record everything, NOT just motion/parking monitor.
    10. Time lapse: It's good option to take 1 fps to save the card space when parking for non pre-buffer dashcams. It's great for people trying to break in, not so much for hit and run.
    11. SD Card: Samsung, Transcend, GSkill, Adata, Lukas etc... except SanDisk that gave me quite a few issues.
    12. Bonus 1: If you live or travel in a shady area, get discrete camera (like Mobius or remote that has body unit hidden somewhere) and install one more in the car hidden from outside.
      That way, the card/unit is hidden and only the camera part is hanging.
      I have heard some people break in and take the camera so basically they take the proof with them.
    13. Bonus 2: Any camera, after you get it, make sure the last file after you turn off is saved properly. That's the key file in case of an accident and some cameras even when new can't save it properly if the battery/capacitor is bad.
      Make sure to check and format the card every week, specially if you use smaller cards. What happens is when you go over bumps, most cameras trigger lock on that file and once the card fills up with those, it can't record.
      Depending upon SD cards, test them every 6 months in computer and replace if needed. Dashcam is very heavy on SD cards as it's constantly writing all the time so eventually they'll go bad.

I'll add if I remember anything else but that'll give you some idea.
    However, important thing is just like gun, having even a Hi-Point (no offense) is better than not having one so get any dashcam and then take time to upgrade...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I was trying to wait for the my preferred choice of front and rear – cam setup, but a deal came along for front only and I bought five of them. I'm just going to run one in the rear as well. Separate cameras, separate cards. On the plus side, it means the rear camera is as good as the front camera.
    I'm thinking about doing that for the wife's 4Runner. There's power back there anyway and that way I can attach it where it will allow for the rear window to be open or closed.

I was doing some research for my GX and happened on a post about installing dash cams or radar detectors using a mirror power adapter. They are more expensive than the universal USB taps, but in my case, I would prefer to not have to sneak a wire around the side air bags to get to the fuses or take apart the overhead console to try to find a keyed power wire and ground. I also like that they also have a stock look.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Looks like aukey has their mini dash cam on sale right now for $21 (link)

Use code QH9A2BQU for 50% off, I applied twice on same account to buy some for my parents. For those considering 2x for front and back, you'd be set up for $42, though no parking mode with this camera afaik.

Use code QH9A2BQU for 50% off, I applied twice on same account to buy some for my parents. For those considering 2x for front and back, you'd be set up for $42, though no parking mode with this camera afaik.
    ordered one. I'll compare it to the 5 pack of cameras I picked up recently.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Code didn’t work for me.

Disregard due to derp. Two ordered at that price.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List