Thread: Converting a M&P9c to .40

Converting a M&P9c to .40

Curious about this, as with the dearth of 9mm available, I've been looking at what it would take to convert some of my current guns to .40. The Glocks require the full slide assembly and changing the ejector I'm aware, but what about the M&P? Looking at parts online the ejector and housing are listed as for both, what about barrels and slides? Would you be able to simply drop a .40 barrel and recoil spring in a 9mm slide and go? I suspect it would be more involved than that but want confirmation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Curious about this, as with the dearth of 9mm available, I've been looking at what it would take to convert some of my current guns to .40. The Glocks require the full slide assembly and changing the ejector I'm aware, but what about the M&P? Looking at parts online the ejector and housing are listed as for both, what about barrels and slides? Would you be able to simply drop a .40 barrel and recoil spring in a 9mm slide and go? I suspect it would be more involved than that but want confirmation.
    It's going to depend on whether or not the breech face of the .40 and 9mm M&P slides are the same. Even if it was, parts normally bring higher prices than complete guns, especially complete police trade in guns.

Unless you live in NYC, Israel or Europe where the number of handguns you can own is limited you are better off just buying a used .40. PD trade in (yes they are sill out there).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It's going to depend on whether or not the breech face of the .40 and 9mm M&P slides are the same. Even if it was, parts normally bring higher prices than complete guns, especially complete police trade in guns.

Unless you live in NYC, Israel or Europe where the number of handguns you can own is limited you are better off just buying a used .40. PD trade in (yes they are sill out there).

Reason I ask is I can find barrels and other small parts all over Ebay and gunbroker, but slides for the C models at least are harder to locate.
    And yeah, I had been looking at the LE trade-ins pretty hard(would prefer a full size anyway), but at least online they have vanished along with everything else. I haven't been willing to trawl the gunshops for any, simply because it's not really a high priority.

Why not just start reloading 9mm?

No shortages on components.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Why not just start reloading 9mm?

No shortages on components.
    Powder and primers are not readily available right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Powder and primers are not readily available right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I only started reloading this January, with the goal to eventually be setup to load every caliber in my little arsenal. But 9mm was way down the list because until the current turn of events, it just wasn't economical at the volume I would be capable of compared to just buying factory.
    And starting now makes no sense, because unlike those who have been doing it awhile, I'm not laid in on components and only need to restock when stuff pops up, I would have to start from scratch.
    While I understand the benefits of reloading, and intend to continue, it has always irked me that any question about ammo cost or availability on any forum always has someone piping up that the questioner should just start reloading, as if starting an additional dedicated hobby with it's own time and equipment costs is the obvious and universal solution.

Yeah, I only started reloading this January, with the goal to eventually be setup to load every caliber in my little arsenal. But 9mm was way down the list because until the current turn of events, it just wasn't economical at the volume I would be capable of compared to just buying factory.
    And starting now makes no sense, because unlike those who have been doing it awhile, I'm not laid in on components and only need to restock when stuff pops up, I would have to start from scratch.
    While I understand the benefits of reloading, and intend to continue, it has always irked me that any question about ammo cost or availability on any forum always has someone piping up that the questioner should just start reloading, as if starting an additional dedicated hobby with it's own time and equipment costs is the obvious and universal solution.
    I understand your frustration. Now is not the time to be accumulating components. I second the advice to find a complete gun, buy or possibly trade. Perhaps a friend who doesn't shoot as much, and has multiple .40s would not feel the current pinch on 9mm.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Reason I ask is I can find barrels and other small parts all over Ebay and gunbroker, but slides for the C models at least are harder to locate.
    And yeah, I had been looking at the LE trade-ins pretty hard(would prefer a full size anyway), but at least online they have vanished along with everything else. I haven't been willing to trawl the gunshops for any, simply because it's not really a high priority.
    M&P 40 FS - Detroit PD trades $299.00 in stock at PSA

https://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-...t=5%3a00+Email

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    M&P 40 FS - Detroit PD trades $299.00 in stock at PSA

https://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-...t=5%3a00+Email
    Aaaand its gone....

User Tag List