Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vickers goes to work with an FAL

Africans along with Central and South Americans don't seem to have any problem at all taking care of business with outdated, obsolete, iron sighted battle rifles shooting 7.62 ball ammo.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Since we're talking about .308s, this was at the range the other day. Even the owner seemed to be complaining of the concussion. I'm filing it under "just because you can doesn't mean you should..."

Saint Victor .308 Pistol
    Yea... that's why .300 Blackout was invented.
    A sub 16" .308 is about like a snub nosed .357mag, lots of extra noise and flash for the minimal (if any, if not less) terminal performance gains over .300BO and .38spcl..
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not super practical in the days of red dots and variable power optics but still an interesting gun in its own right. It belongs in with talk of FALs, G3s, M1As and the like.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...wnells-brn-10/

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    If I didn’t live in a ban state I would have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    FAL details? It's a looker.

-Cory

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Yeah...nice wood.

Speaking in a truly hoplogical nature of course....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I love shooting my 42" barrel flintlock Kentucky rifle, doesn't mean I need a lecture as to how it is not sufficient for modern warfare...

Built two FALs, on DSA receivers, back when Imbel kits were sub $200 (didn't get in on the legendary $99 ones) and NIW mags were had for under $10. The first one I built is still in my safe and gets shot frequently. The second one is with my son who enjoys it frequently. They are really cool rifles and will still do the job originally intended for them. I'm not a skilled HS/LD operator (not even close) so I'm free to just enjoy the nostalgia of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    I love shooting my 42" barrel flintlock Kentucky rifle, doesn't mean I need a lecture as to how it is not sufficient for modern warfare...
    The ultimate flex would be to ambush a high speed gear queer with that flintlock so you could then loot all their high dollar gear for the cost of a wheel weight and a few grains of Pyrodex.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The ultimate flex would be to ambush a high speed gear queer with that flintlock so you could then loot all their high dollar gear for the cost of a wheel weight and a few grains of Pyrodex.

Extra style points for doing it while wearing a cooneskin cap.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-12-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I need details of that FAL
    It's a 20 year old DSA Stg58. Back then it was the best deal going in the FAL world. Other than the DSA upper and the required number of US made parts, it's all Austrian, with matching numbers from the same, as new, rifle. It was DSAs "parts" gun, but it wasn't put together from a beat up old surplus kit. I bought the French walnut furniture from DSA about a year after I bought the rifle and finished it myself. I installed a spring kit from Falcon Arms to lighten the trigger. It did an admirable job of that and while some reported light primer strikes with those kites, I've never had a problem.

At the end of the year it will probably go to live with my youngest son. I don't do much rifle shooting these days due to an arthritic right shoulder and he's always Jonesed after it. I told him, if he wants to spend his weekends running and gunning with it, he needs to take the wood off and mount some plastic. It would disturb me greatly to see that wood bashed up.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

And if the finisher isn’t issued with one of these, you don’t want that gear bad enough.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List