Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field trips as part of Police Academy

Field trips as part of Police Academy

Interesting:https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...litary/612859/

I like the idea of taking field trips. Reminds me of Junior High.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Interesting that reserve officer in DC with a whopping 4 years under his belt is such an expert. Particularly on what small towns need. Yes, small towns get more vehicles from the Fed program. Because that's what their budget allows. Big cities pony up for purpose made vehicles like the Bearcat. Don't need them? Well, I would suppose the folks in my home county who were rescued during flooding by one of those "mine resistant Humvees" might think it was useful that day. But small towns and the rurals suck, so who cares if they die in floods, amirite?

I don't really care about spit shined boots, but you do have to have stress in the Academy for the same reasons you have to in Basic. It breaks some people. Better they break in training then under fire.

As for "field trips" we had trips to the courts and the jail, but that was it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I bet the real cops he works with just love having him around, just knowing they’re gonna be in his next book.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I got about halfway through it before I threw up in my mouth.

Field trips are for grade school and law enforcement isn't for pussies, at least it never used to be.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I couldn't read most of it honestly. With that said, field trips can serve a purpose with instilling a sense of purpose, history/pride, and duty.

IIRC, the FBI takes their academy classes to the 9/11 memorial and museum, because that was a defining moment in history not just for America but for the FBI in particular. No different than a unit of Marines taking a field trip to 8th & I, hiking to the top of Iwo Jima, hiking at a Civil War battlefield retracing a historical unit's marching route, sailors taking a unit field trip to a WW2 museum ship, etc.

A historically significant field trip might not be doable for many PDs, but I don't think it's the worthless sign of weakness that many of ya'll make it out to be.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

She lost me on the first sentence. If you don’t know that you’re joining a paramilitary organization and you’re surprised that you get yelled at in the Academy you’re demonstrating you probably shouldn’t even be there. Oh noooos I have to spit shine shoes?! No shit I had to polish boots, my duty belt, and and pouches almost every night. If there was a range day it meant cleaning a dirty revolver that had shot reloads with wheel weight lead and polish a belt that had been on the range. You knew there was an inspection the next day. Guaranteed.

We had no field trips in my Academy. The only one that was a possibility was a trip to the morgue for an autopsy but they ended up playing a videotape of one.

She is a reserve Officer who’s served for four years. If she went in for one shift a week she’s been on the street 52 days. That’s about a month and a half of FTO. Did you say something boot?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

The author might have attended an academy but they're not a cop. It sounds like the author just wanted to check the box for their upcoming book.

My academy class did a few field trips. They bussed everyone downtown to direct traffic at an intersection for an hour. Second, was an autopsy and tour of the ME office. We watched about an hour of the actual autopsy. I remember asking the doc how he liked doing autopsies versus working with live patients. He replied that he got zero complaints from his autopsy patients.
    Last edited by andre3k; 07-10-2020 at 07:28 PM.

The only field trips I remember were to a morgue to view autopsies and to tour a nearby prison.

There are reasons for the paramilitary program, not the least of which is that there are times we need orders responded to now as well as pretty high levels of self-control such as when working on a crowd control line.

As for field trips, we didn't get any in the academy - other than to Sears Point Raceway and the Bondurant School of Driving for our EVOC course.

When we did Crisis Intervention Training (and it's still part of the course), there's an afternoon worth of site visits at several facilities focusing on mental health issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    There are reasons for the paramilitary program, not the least of which is that there are times we need orders responded to now as well as pretty high levels of self-control such as when working on a crowd control line.

As for field trips, we didn't get any in the academy - other than to Sears Point Raceway and the Bondurant School of Driving for our EVOC course.

When we did Crisis Intervention Training (and it's still part of the course), there's an afternoon worth of site visits at several facilities focusing on mental health issues.
    Agreed on reasons for the paramilitary program.

Nothing wrong with field trips with actual training value. Given the cross over in "customer base" mental health facilities would be a valuable field trip for recruits, especially for those whose agencies don't start them in the jail. Jail intake on a Friday or Saturday night would be another one.

As for the author, a mentor once told me it takes 5 years to make a good cop, 10 if he went to college. By that standard, a part time reserve with a JD is gonna exceed a human lifetime.

User Tag List