Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahomans, what just happened?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @vcdgrips strikes again...

Why a different hammer just doesn't come down is beyond me...

Check Fire!! Check Fire!!

I think you guys are missing the point. @Borderland @Stephanie B this is not about returning land to someone. This is about who enforces what laws. This all came from someone that was convicted of murder by the state, and then filed an appeal that the state had no authority to arrest him, because it happened on Tribal land. So he is trying to get the conviction thrown out. Which is what will happen now. So now the Feds have to prosecute him. This is not going to be about returning land to a tribe. That will never happen.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post

I think you guys are missing the point. @Borderland @Stephanie B this is not about returning land to someone. This is about who enforces what laws. This all came from someone that was convicted of murder by the state, and then filed an appeal that the state had no authority to arrest him, because it happened on Tribal land. So he is trying to get the conviction thrown out. Which is what will happen now. So now the Feds have to prosecute him. This is not going to be about returning land to a tribe. That will never happen.
    I answered a comment about adverse possession.

Don't bet on it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Don't bet on it.
    I understand,

I just wanted everyone to know the background on why the SC did this case in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post

I wouldn't take that bet.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I wouldn't take that bet.
    I wouldn’t either, he will end in a federal prison. But he obviously is going to jail, now it’s just a matter of where and who convicts him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Don't bet on it.
    Correct. The case wasn't about land ownership and the SC didn't determine anything regarding that. They just based their decision on a map of the treaty reservation.

Nothing to get excited about.....yet.

If the OK tribes ever have an NFL football team will they be the White Skins or Claim Jumpers?
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@vcdgrips

I know there is an act that allows the prosecution of state crimes in federal court if the crimes occurred on federal property...I don’t think that it’s used often (I’ve only been part of one case where we did that).

Would that work on tribal land?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    @vcdgrips

I know there is an act that allows the prosecution of state crimes in federal court if the crimes occurred on federal property...I don’t think that it’s used often (I’ve only been part of one case where we did that).

Would that work on tribal land?
    Your guess is as good as anyone's, in this day and age who knows? I would think, logically, yes, but I am not a lawyer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Don't make blanket judgments.

(BTW, I agree that Native Americans were treated horribly and treaties weren't honored. But if we're going back, every group stole the land (they later occupied) from some other group. Native Americans displaced other tribes regularly, Native African tribes did the same. I don't know who was here when the Asians crossed the land bridge to North America...but you can be sure someone wasn't happy about the new neighbors. And so it goes.)
    Humans will be humans, whatever their shade or origin.

User Tag List