Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ported Barrels

Ported Barrels

So @Duke's love affair with his S&W Performance Center M&P has gotten me thinking - is there something different about S&W's barrel porting compared to Glock's much disliked 'C' series pistols? What is working better about S&W's execution? I noticed in Aaron Cowan's latest video he is sporting a GEN5 G34 with a ported barrel by Agency Arms which looks a lot like the old C series treatment. Typically we've seen the "Roland Special" Glock builds use compensators vice ports...why aren't we seeing a GEN5 MOS 'C' model, or what does Glock need to do to make that model desirable?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Looks to me like the ports Smith uses are quite a bit bigger than the Glock C-series ports. They also appear to be much more on the “top” of the gun improving the efficacy of them (closer to the top of the barrel the better. Looking at pictures the M&P ports don’t even look like they are the full width of the front sight dovetail apart. The tighter the V the more effectively the ports.

Remember too, ports work by venting gas while the bullet is in the chamber, thus reducing velocity. This is one reason why ported guns shoot softer than comp’ed guns. A ported gun has a more traditional recoil impulse that is softer. It’s one reason they shoot so well.

It’s been a while since I saw a C model Glock in person - and certainly I’m not the guy to wax knowledgable about Austrian ported Guns.

The Smith PC ports don’t seem that big but it’s just the right amount I think.

Though I’ve got a 5” PC headed to Floyd’s custom to have 2 more ports like the factory holes put in the barrel.

Also i have not fired a full size M&p with no ports so I have no data on the feels or the splits with one.

I can get .10s splits on occasion and .12’s with relative ease on the ported Guns.

Name:  4A8E46BC-BFCE-4332-A323-10FE408A29D2.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  106.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Remember too, ports work by venting gas while the bullet is in the chamber, thus reducing velocity.
    What’s an average FPS loss? Are we still in the window for reliable JHP expansion with ported velocities?

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    What’s an average FPS loss? Are we still in the window for reliable JHP expansion with ported velocities?
    Varies by port size, port placement, etc. Here's a piece in Shooting Times - https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...pensator/99220

The author recorded an average 66 fps reduction from the Glock "C" ports. Probably not enough to matter with 124-grain projectiles. But that might be enough to effect reliability with a 147-grain standard pressure especially from a shorter (<4") barrel.

Has anyone tried a ported G34 barrel (for Gen3/4 pistols with the slide cut)? Anything to recommend?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Has anyone tried a ported G34 barrel (for Gen3/4 pistols with the slide cut)? Anything to recommend?
    I really liked ModK Armory's Game Winner porting on a G17. Probably also great on a 34. Their website is down right now though.

FYI: I mis-wrote above in my post when I said, "Vents from the chamber" - I meant barrel. This is what I get for typing too fast on my phone. A sharp eyed reader caught the mistake!

Ports work: As the bullet passes the ports in the barrel, gas is vented (reducing the volume of gas) pushing the bullet out of the muzzle. Redirecting those gases up counters upward recoil and bleeding gas off before the bullet exits the barrel reduces total velocity (and therefore also reduces recoil).

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I can get .10s splits on occasion and .12’s with relative ease on the ported Guns.

Jeeeeeesus.

You sleep with those things under your pillow or what?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Jeeeeeesus.

You sleep with those things under your pillow or what?
    Don’t worry I still can’t count to 6. Got a long way to go

User Tag List