Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Mags: OEM Glock 24's vs +5 Basepads

I know some have had issues with Taran extensions popping off, but mine have been solid. They've seen a ton of use in USPSA particularly, and many biathlons where they took some hard hits from low crawls and obstacles. They're far more dirt/dust resistant than ETS or Magpul mags, and far more durable.

I also have an OEM 24 which I've started using for biathlons, but only as a replacement for my 21rd PMAGS. I bought my Taran extensions many years ago when TLG first wrote a post about them. Beyond replacing the stock springs they've held up great.

I don't have any complaints the OEM24 other than its a bit long to leave in the gun while running through an obstacle course, and the floorplate isn't super comfortable for carry. I prefer the OEM+2 or Taran+4 for carry. The Taran extensions have a great rounded profile which doesn't print or poke me the wrong way.

Site Supporter
    I have one Arredondo +6 extension on a G17 mag, which has a lot of rounds through it and has been dropped a lot in USPSA, including when it was at least partially loaded. It’s been solid and problem-free.

Before I designated it as a match magazine, I carried concealed with it, but the bulbous shape of the extension wasn’t optimal for that.

I would definitely go with a 24-round OEM mag as a reload if I were still carrying a 9mm Glock.

I carry one or two GLOCKs daily these days, usually a G19 and G26. The 19 has a standard capacity mag, the 26 usually has a + extension. In street clothes, I have one reload, usually a 17 mag w/a+extension. All mags downloaded by one, and that’s my decision. I tried a 24 rounder, but found it “flopped”outward in OWB pouch(usually Safariland). Another style pouch might be better.
    Reference the OP, I would be fine with a G17 mag, downloaded by one for easier slide forward insertion-again, me. My first choice would not be to carry an extra extended mag base. I’ve seen them pop off when hit by a car door, desk edge and corner of wall. Fine for competition, just not for carry FOR me-YMMV.
    The odds of a citizen needing a reload are pretty small; reference Werner and others. My reload balances the belt load and is also there for a malfunction/stoppage, etc.
    Carry what you can and have vetted.

I have a 24 rd mag that will take 25 rds and still seat on a closed slide and feed the first round. Should I worry about overcompressing the spring? I read somewhere that they use the same springs as the 33 rounders, but am unsure of the follower/baseplate relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    I have a 24 rd mag that will take 25 rds and still seat on a closed slide and feed the first round. Should I worry about overcompressing the spring? I read somewhere that they use the same springs as the 33 rounders, but am unsure of the follower/baseplate relationship.
    I have a few of the 24's and they all allow for a 25th round to be loaded and function properly. I did this for a while, mostly because adding that last round eliminated the rattle you get from Glock Mags that are loaded with an even number of rounds... 23 or 25, no rattle... 24 rounds, you could use it in a mariachi band.
    But what I found over time is that when the 25th round is left loaded it caused the base of the mag to swell on the back side where it is not supported by the internal metal sleeve or base plate. It may not be a problem but I didn't like the long term prospects. To solve this issue I added a Glock +2 base to each mag so it now holds 27 rounds with ease, still functions properly, eliminates the rattle, and stopped the swelling. And passes a loaded mag drop test while also being more comfortable to carry AIWB.
    And yes, the 24 stick uses the same spring as the 33 stick so spring compression should not be an issue.

The ONLY baseplate I've seen survive rough service is the Lightning Strike +0. It's the only one I approve for duty use. TT's fail, Aredondo's fail, Glock +2s fail.

User Tag List