Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It does seem like I am happiest when I have some loading in process...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm loading mostly buckshot, which works out cheaper than factory. I bought a 25# bag of #1 buck last week, and I'm glad I did. Looks like the wave of panic has swept up bulk buckshot along with all the factory ammo.
    Would you mind sharing recipes or tips? I'm considering getting into shotgun loading for buckshot and/or slug to provide practice fodder. I'm not having much luck finding data.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I didn’t know Bottom Dollar was still open. For some reason I’d assumed they closed down when the other place was at the old outlet mall.
    Same as it ever was, typically with several skids of shot sitting on the showroom floor

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Would you mind sharing recipes or tips? I'm considering getting into shotgun loading for buckshot and/or slug to provide practice fodder. I'm not having much luck finding data.
    Another thing you might do is consider loading heavy birdshot loads that might replicate the recoil and can shoot on pistol plates. Pretty easy to stuff 1-1/2oz into a 2-3/4" AA with wads like these:
    Name:  CB.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  19.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Another thing you might do is consider loading heavy birdshot loads that might replicate the recoil and can shoot on pistol plates. Pretty easy to stuff 1-1/2oz into a 2-3/4" AA with wads like these:
    Name:  CB.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  19.2 KB
    Can't shoot birdshot at the ranges here. Buck or slug only. Slug works at both the ranges I visit, buck only at one.

Chris

Can't shoot birdshot at the ranges here. Buck or slug only. Slug works at both the ranges I visit, buck only at one.

Chris
    Whoops, just the opposite of what I woulda speculated.
    I you want to experiment with those wads I have some and would mail you a few, I do not use many. You could probably weigh some buckshot...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Whoops, just the opposite of what I woulda speculated.
    I you want to experiment with those wads I have some and would mail you a few, I do not use many. You could probably weigh some buckshot...
    I think the concern is shot impacting other targets or bouncing around indoors.

Appreciate the offer, but I'm a ways away from starting (don't have a press for example). It's more of a fever dream at the moment.

Chris

Chris
    I've got the Lyman book, and downloaded Ballistic Products' buckshot manual. The BPI manual is mainly for Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls. The Lyman is OK, bt has data for powders that are no longer made.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun has been my source for most of my loading data.

I stick to fold crimp loads with AA, Remington, or Fiocchi hulls. @Flyboytim said in a PM that he's doing roll crimp.

My 00 and 1 buck loads are OK, but not FC tight. For practice I think they're fine. You can do a lot with the 12R and WAA12F114 replacement wads, although I do use some BPIs. The tough part right now will be getting shot.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mikld View Post
    I too enjoy reloading. I have a couple "Just in case" loads (230 FMJ over a classic load of bullseye that works in all my 45 ACP guns and a 124 gr JHP over Unique for all my 9mm pistols). When I just feel like reloading and have plenty of other loads waiting to be tested, I'll crank out some JIC ammo. If I feel like 25, that's OK and if I feel like putting together 100, that's OK too, at least I'm reloading...
    Sounds familiar. I have about 150 primed and belled .45 cases on my bench awaiting WSF powder and 230 grain FMJ bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I've got the Lyman book, and downloaded Ballistic Products' buckshot manual. The BPI manual is mainly for Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls. The Lyman is OK, bt has data for powders that are no longer made.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun has been my source for most of my loading data.

I stick to fold crimp loads with AA, Remington, or Fiocchi hulls. @Flyboytim said in a PM that he's doing roll crimp.

My 00 and 1 buck loads are OK, but not FC tight. For practice I think they're fine. You can do a lot with the 12R and WAA12F114 replacement wads, although I do use some BPIs. The tough part right now will be getting shot.
    Hey guys,
    I agree with Hambo regarding the data sources. It’s probably too much to ask, but with all the potential variables, I would love to see a left to right, drop down variable online source that listed barrel length, hull type/size, wad, shot size/weight, filler or no filler, and spit out a list of powder type and safe weight with associated velocities tied to the barrel length. But alas... 😢

My latest load is 23 grains of Unique, Fiochhi 16 mm, clear hull, MG-42 wad, (I had to trim length off the wad since my 8 pellet load was short of the end of the wad), 8 pellets of BPI’s 00, regular buckshot, a .070 overshot card (this is too thick, but everything else was on backorder). Here’s some pictures of the completed ammo and the results at the range.

Since this is my first try at shotshell reloading, my conclusion so far is that the recoil of Federal’s “Reduced Recoil” buckshot loads is attainable. The tight pattern of their FliteControl wads is the difficult goal to achieve without a source of FC wads.... 😡 It must be a closely guarded secret in spite of Hornady having the smae wad in some of their loadings. The main issue is that most wads are slit along the front sides. I’ll be trying unslit wads next and report back.

In the pictures, loads 1-10 have no filler, and loads 11-20 have BPI’s Original Filler. I don’t see a major difference. FC uses filler. FC also has copper plated shot. I’m not sure either makes a big difference. Again, I think the main difference is the FC wad.

I have just ordered two items. The Lee Load All 2 “press”, if you can call it that, and one of those Russian made roll crimp tools. Even after spending on BPI’s double roll crimp tool and their hull vise, I’m convinced their tool works best with a drill press. I don’t have the room to go that route. Thus the Load All and the Russian crimp tool. I’ve also decided to scrounge up any of my fired Federal hulls and reload them using a fold crimp. Fun stuff... 🤓👍
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Well, I will not need to load 20g skeet loads for a while. Not sure exactly how many I have, but I used over 1k wads and they didn't all fit in a 5gal bucket

User Tag List