Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Sharpener for Parents

Recommend Sharpener for Parents

Hi folks, I need a recommendation for an easy to use sharpener for my parents. All my crap has angle measures and motors...

Basically need an idiot proof system. Very simple.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Same as for any one else new or very experienced: Sharpmaker and coarse diamond bench stone.

However tools do not make up for skill.

Simpler: you do it for them or send it back to the manufacture.

The joy in a knife is the edge, and gimmicky "draw through the grove one step sharpeners" are shittty.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is the easiest gadget to use.

The biggest drawback is that if the knife is really dull, it can take a while to put a serviceable edge on.

Still, it would be my first recommendation. It is essentially foolproof and if the knife is reasonably sharp to start with, they will be set for a long time to come.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

1) Listen to @blues, he's probably forgotten more about knives than I will ever know.

2) I'm 62, so maybe in the target population for your purchase.

I bought a Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener in January, after attempting to make do with various crap stones from e.g. Harbor Freight. I've used it dozens of times since to put an edge that will (generally) slice through notebook paper fairly easily on my Spyderco Dragonfly 2, my Benchmade Mini-Grip, and several kitchen knives of various vintages. "for me" it was affordable, effective, and compact. I like the dual diamond edges, and the built-in stropping surface. As a negative, it does not "sit" flat on the surface and sometimes wiggles a bit as I work the knife blade across. It's also fairly small, so maybe suitable for smaller length blades like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The Spyderco Sharpmaker is the easiest gadget to use.

The biggest drawback is that if the knife is really dull, it can take a while to put a serviceable edge on.

Still, it would be my first recommendation. It is essentially foolproof and if the knife is reasonably sharp to start with, they will be set for a long time to come.
    Thanks @blues, this is what I'll recommend.

Spyderco sharpmaker as Blues recommended is what I use and it has been fantastic for a sharpening idiot like myself. Pretty simple.

Site Supporter
    Not to disagree with @blues it is a simple system for sure. I never particularly liked using them.

I would look at https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...ife-sharpener/ with this upgrade https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/...5-upgrade-kit/. I don't have this model, I use the Ken onion edition with the blade grinding attachment. Mine is more flexible as to blade geometry but requires more practice.

Several family get-togethers have turned into me sharpening or touching up knives. It is very quick way to sharpen especially if somone doesn't want to manually sharpen.

Guys, thanks for the good words.

I won't be disappointed if you disagree or recommend something different. I have lots of bench stones, pocket stones, an Edge Pro, Sharpmaker and a few other doodads.

All roads may lead to Rome but some are faster, some are trickier to navigate, some are fraught with peril for someone without the proper knowledge or physical ability.

The Sharpmaker is nearly foolproof, pretty damn accident proof and will work, especially if one is willing to put some effort into using the system and learning some tricks.

For folks with little interest and who are older, I'm loathe to recommend something that might be either dangerous or have a longer learning curve.

Most of the time I freehand, and either refine the edge or put a small secondary on with the Sharpmaker to complete the job. It's quick and reliable as a finisher and for burr removal.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Guys, thanks for the good words.

I won't be disappointed if you disagree or recommend something different. I have lots of bench stones, pocket stones, an Edge Pro, Sharpmaker and a few other doodads.

All roads may lead to Rome but some are faster, some are trickier to navigate, some are fraught with peril for someone without the proper knowledge or physical ability.

The Sharpmaker is nearly foolproof, pretty damn accident proof and will work, especially if one is willing to put some effort into using the system and learning some tricks.

For folks with little interest and who are older, I'm loathe to recommend something that might be either dangerous or have a longer learning curve.

Most of the time I freehand, and either refine the edge or put a small secondary on with the Sharpmaker to complete the job. It's quick and reliable as a finisher and for burr removal.
    I'm really wondering why you didn't just offer to have me send knives to you for sharpening :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm really wondering why you didn't just offer to have me send knives to you for sharpening :P
    I didn't see any mention of beer accompanying the knives.

I do occasionally sharpen for my neighbor, (and beer / cigar buddy), but I usually limit that sort of thing unless someone that stops by has something in their pocket which I find particularly egregious.

User Tag List