Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend Sharpener for Parents

Site Supporter
    Concur 110 % re the Sharpmaker as I was you a couple of months back.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-Questions

Site Supporter
    @blues I didn't think you'd mind a friendly disagreement. You just obviously know much more about knives than I do.

Have you ever tried the worksharp powered sharpeners? They are a pretty neat setup IMHO. I don't do as well with keeping the knives sharp so manual systems tend to take a lot of time. I am trying stropping to maintain edges, still testing.

The Sharpmaker and other manual systems are great when you never let the knife get dull. If you consistently using them to maintain the edge they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalis Discipulo View Post
    @blues I didn't think you'd mind a friendly disagreement. You just obviously know much more about knives than I do.

Have you ever tried the worksharp powered sharpeners? They are a pretty neat setup IMHO. I don't do as well with keeping the knives sharp so manual systems tend to take a lot of time. I am trying stropping to maintain edges, still testing.

The Sharpmaker and other manual systems are great when you never let the knife get dull. If you consistently using them to maintain the edge they work well.
    To be honest, N D, I've never been tempted by powered sharpening gear. I guess I just like the interaction with the steel. I can certainly appreciate that its an effective and time saving method, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

As mentioned the coarse diamond bench stone is for resetting the edge. Sharpmaker for refining. (sharpening)

Site Supporter
    I have several sharpening systems, including the work sharps, the Sharpmaker, etc.

As a serious cook I use my knives a lot and hard. For a non enthusiast, a trip to a professional sharpener who uses a slack belt every six months and a quick lesson in steeling the edge would likely produce more consistent results. Heck, I am pretty good at sharpening, and every 12-36 months or so I send my cooking knives to a pro for slack belt sharpening. All my EDC blades I do myself, and when I butcher animals in the field.

pat

User Tag List