Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FACE MASK v COVID

Using UV to sterilize N95 masks has been tried, but I am not sure that it has received any kind of FDA emergency authorization. Even, then its using the UV sources found in hospitals for sterilization of other medical equipment. You cell phone thingie may work, but be careful of the elastic. AFAIK the only FDA emergency approved sterilization procedure is vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (and no dont go boil grocery store peroxide while holding you mask over the vapors). There is yet to be any home sterilization procedure that the FDA is thinking about authorizing. Not that it would matter as N95 are still hard to get in general stores.

My employers suggestion was to take a stash of masks and put them into individual paper (NOT plastic, but something that will keep it clean yet allow it to dry out) bags. Wear one and put it back into its bag. Next day wear the second one... This will give each mask at least a day to dry out completely. If you have 5 masks thats 4 days of rest for each mask before you have to touch it again. If this bug can live for day on a mask surface we are screwed anyway

Site Supporter
    Which decontamination protocol to use varies with mask. Duke looked at UV and said that it friend their masks. They started using hydrogen peroxide vapor. University of Nebraska went with UV. We were using UV until we got a hydrogen peroxide vapor machine for sterilizing ppe for people on the clinical side. (Actually, I guess we're still using UV, because the hydrogen peroxide was shipped to me, and no one has come to get it yet.) I wear mostly cloth masks that my wife makes. They get washed in our washing machine. Based on the marginally increased difficulty in breathing, I think the cloth masks I have offer a little more protection than the disposable masks I bought off Amazon. Neither, of course, is as good as a N95, but if all the idiots out there would just mask up, it'd go a long way to solving this problem.

If I were going to buy cloth masks, I might try Saddleback Leather. I haven't spent much time looking though.

Site Supporter
    Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I’ve found this mask while a bit pricey to fit very well so my glasses don’t fog up, and it is quite comfortable ...
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e...ask-kit-283298

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I’ve found this mask while a bit pricey to fit very well so my glasses don’t fog up, and it is quite comfortable ...
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/e...ask-kit-283298
    That one looks good, if not for the logo. I can’t bring myself to buy one of these things with some stupid branding on my face.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That one looks good, if not for the logo. I can’t bring myself to buy one of these things with some stupid branding on my face.
    Logos are my pet peeve too, but at least on the green mask it’s not that noticeable IRL, given the font size and placement at/below the jawline.
    Good thing I bought green or my wife would have already stolen it. She just made me buy the other 2 colors this morning, so we will see if they are more obnoxious.

I just acquired two. Much more comfortable than my N95 (obviously). It has just enough rigidity to not collapse into your mouth when you breath, but still pliable. The filters are cut to fit one-half (one side) of the mask. Seems unusual, but it works and likely keeps the filters more flush with the mask that way. It came in a nice plastic Re-sealable pouch with some spare filters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I just acquired two. Much more comfortable than my N95 (obviously). It has just enough rigidity to not collapse into your mouth when you breath, but still pliable. The filters are cut to fit one-half (one side) of the mask. Seems unusual, but it works and likely keeps the filters more flush with the mask that way. It came in a nice plastic Re-sealable pouch with some spare filters.
    Actually on the filters you pull them apart from the narrow end and they become one piece that fits the whole mask. I swear it took me 3 minutes to get the first one separated, it was 100x worse than getting my dog poop bags open with one hand.

I recently received a mask I’d ordered that says Justice for George Floyd on the front. This was based on our findings here at the Juilliard Institute for Woodwinds, Strings and Microbiology that COVID-19 is the first virus sufficiently intelligent and woke that it knows not to infect social justice protestors. In addition to the mask providing an enhanced level of protection and immunity against the virus, it also provides an enhanced level of protection and immunity against being arrested should I ever engage in unlawful activity since everywhere I go is a peaceful protest.

My wife has made it clear she won’t be seen in public with me if I wear it. Sad, because it’s actually a really good, comfortable mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I recently received a mask I’d ordered that says Justice for George Floyd on the front. This was based on our findings here at the Juilliard Institute for Woodwinds, Strings and Microbiology that COVID-19 is the first virus sufficiently intelligent and woke that it knows not to infect social justice protestors. In addition to the mask providing an enhanced level of protection and immunity against the virus, it also provides an enhanced level of protection and immunity against being arrested should I ever engage in unlawful activity since everywhere I go is a peaceful protest.

My wife has made it clear she won’t be seen in public with me if I wear it. Sad, because it’s actually a really good, comfortable mask.
    Saw a guy yesterday with a mask that said “black live matter” across the front. Was going to ask him where he got it but wasn’t sure how he’d take it...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List