Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FACE MASK v COVID

FACE MASK v COVID

Just going to cut to the chase and hope there are some experts here who have some solid info.
    Since face mask are required in some places it seems prudent to lay in a supply.
    Ive noticed a lot of the N 95 medical mask dont seem to fit so well. Gaps around the face. Then there is the cost of those mask especially if you need a new one daily.
    Lots of reusable mask online, the CDC has even issued guidelines for making your own.
    There are also cleaning procedure for reusable mask cleaning which involves a bleach solution and air drying. There is also a disinfecting wash which is used in my house for washing scrubs.

There are other mask that are coming from companies that seem well made and fit well.
    Some masks have replaceable filters.
    So are there any recommendation for reusable mask?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The value of face masks for mass use is mainly to avoid droplets exiting the random infected carrier, and to a much lesser degree to stop these droplets from entering your mouth/nose.

For this "light" use, just about anything will do. I would not use a N95 mask to walk around the sidewalk or go to the supermarket.

Now, for use in relatively confined spaces and sharing a lot of time with potentialy infected people the N95 are the way to go, together with a lot more care with dissinfection of stuff, hand washing, distancing, care with air recycle, etc.

Couple of underlying points:

1. There’s an assload of stuff we still don’t understand about covid, as well as our response to it. So to say we know exactly what should be done is quite the overstatement.

2. It overall boils down to how much protection do you want, and how much effort are you willing to put in to get it?

N95’s offer the best protection short of a “space suit”, but in order for you to get the benefit, you need to be fit tested to find the right one. This typically involves being under a hood with noxious bad tasting aerosols in the air, then also performing movements, talking, and even walking/running with the mask on to see if it works.

With covid, we recently underwent new fit testing. The particular model N95 that I’ve worn for almost 20 years no longer worked for me, and that was a surprise. Guess I’ve gained weight and my face shape has changed. I wouldn’t have known that without the testing.

But to assume that just because you find an N95 style mask, you are getting the best protection is a falsehood without said testing.

The general consensus around these parts is some form of mask is better than nothing, N95’s which are fitted are better, and suiting with an actual respirator is the best.

Don’t have any experience with the replaceable cartridge masks.

cc

Don't overlook half face respirators if you're looking for a good seal and effective filtration. They look like they're more uncomfortable but I find them a lot more comfortable for long periods and they're easier to seal check.

As far as 'Social Politeness' masks I'd just go with whatever is comfortable.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know what they cost or how effective they are, but we have some sort of UV 'air fryer' type device at our roll call sites now. You open a little drawer, put your "non-reusable" mask in, let it "cook" for 5 minutes, flip it, repeat. Allegedly it's good to go again.

I would suspect that direct sunlight exposure for a length of time would likely accomplish the same thing without the gizmo, but I don't know.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I would suspect that direct sunlight exposure for a length of time would likely accomplish the same thing without the gizmo, but I don't know.
    Got to be a little careful with the sunlight thing. I did that with some of my masks, I left them in the cab of my truck. The sunlight destroyed the elastic bands that hold the mask to your face.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The value of face masks for mass use is mainly to avoid droplets exiting the random infected carrier, and to a much lesser degree to stop these droplets from entering your mouth/nose.
    Just wanted to reiterate this. Wearing a basic cloth or surgical mask is not about protecting yourself, it's about protecting others from you, with a small bonus of protecting yourself a little bit. Covid can spread from pre-symptomatic and mildly symptomatic people who don't know they have the virus. So you wear a mask in case you're one of those people.

In no particular order:

1)There are N100 (P100, ...) masks that are better than N95 - Mine are physically thicker than N95, plus they have a rubber/silicone/something kind of a gasket around the edge for better sealing. Of course, they are unobtanium at this point.

2)On disinfecting masks - I'd be real careful with bleach and so on. My sense is that those need pretty tight process control to avoid damaging the filtration capability of the mask. If you are out and about all day, you might have to deal with that. We're retired and only need masks for the occasional trip to the store, so we just toss 'em on the shelf and let time do the disinfecting.

3)The studies I have read indicate that even simple cloth masks some protective effect for the wearer, but the numbers vary quite bit. They all agree there are fairly large protective effects for others.

4)If you think the Army biowarfare folks are credible: "They found that one of the best readily available materials to use in a homemade face covering is four-ply microfiber cloth which can be found in the cleaning section of most big box stores. It filters out over 75 percent of particles. In comparison, the N95 mask used by healthcare workers in hospitals can filter 95 percent of particles or greater. The team also found that even a polyester bandana can be reasonably effective if it is used in layers. It will filter out 40 percent of suspended particles."

https://www.army.mil/article/234853/...ring_materials

(that's a news release, but I have seen the actual study on the web somewhere)

Anybody looked at this mask from Israel?

https://sonoviatech.com

Claims to be an antimicrobial mask that kills corona at 99.9% effectiveness.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Got to be a little careful with the sunlight thing. I did that with some of my masks, I left them in the cab of my truck. The sunlight destroyed the elastic bands that hold the mask to your face.
    You can kill them if they get too hot, the N95 electrostatic layer is made of meltblown plastic.
    Factory tells me their recommended storage temp is up to ~80'F. Normal ambient temps are likely ok, even in TX.... Garage is ok... Hot truck... #notsogood .
    If you want to UV disinfect, maybe an inside window ledge is better than the dashboard.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List