Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunglasses - My wife wants to replaceher Maui Jim's

Ray-Bans. Done. Unless you want to be fancy, then Persol. Stick with the classic and you’ll never go out of style.

I prefer Costa and I'm a sunglass whore. I've had all the major brands at one point or another. Maui Jim would be my runner up. Buy for the lenses, not the frames. Polarization layer sandwiched between glass layers is where it's at. Plastic lenses are good for safety or if you need something really light weight. Otherwise, glass has better clarity and is very scratch-resistant. The weight won't matter as much with the correct fitment and thinner glass but Rx sunglasses can get pretty heavy if you choose glass (depending on your level of blindness).

Agree with TCB. I introduced a friend to Ray Bans and she was in love.
    Me? I can't wear sunglasses. At least three Rx over the years, the last one in the same model frame as my regular glasses, plus forays into clip-ons. I get a headache in 30 minutes or less. The most tint I can tolerate is "light target gold" in my pistol glasses and a light magenta in my Trap glasses (meant to contrast orange targets against a green background.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I was recently turned on to Randolph Engineering and love them.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I prefer Costa and I'm a sunglass whore. I've had all the major brands at one point or another. Maui Jim would be my runner up.
    This right here. I have owned lots, and the optical clarity of Costa and MJ are at the top.

The Zeiss lenses found on various brands are excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I was recently turned on to Randolph Engineering and love them.
    If you like Randolph, American Originals are the true, ahem, originals and less expensive. Plus, the pair that went to the moon with Neil Armstrong is in the Smithsonian.

https://dappered.com/2015/07/the-dif...ao-sunglasses/

Another vote for something anything by Costa, preferably the P series vs G, plastic vs glass.

I use the 580P for everything, general use, fishing, shooting , motorcycle riding.... they ain’t cheap but what is your eye sight worth?

My all around favorite lens is the copper green mirror, excellent contrast and I believe 12% light transmission. They are great In bright sun as well as overcast and rainy

Lens colors may be limited to certain frame selections.

User Tag List