Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Individual Room Clearing at Gunsite Academy

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    It is said that the compressed ready has advantages in regards to weapons retention. It's not always about the timer. (Did I just break my rule to not discuss tactics on the internet?)
    I'm not going to argue with you - a lot. As much I prefer working for a true low ready (or something along the bottom part of Spaulding's arc of ready), I wouldn't work from a low ready if I had to roll into & clear an occupied nursery, pre-school, or elementary school.

Beyond that, "we" get into a terminology problem in that you can come across a bunch of different names for the same position.

Hammertime
    In enjoyed that video and learned a few things. It does make me cringe to see Larry flag his hand. I need practice to make sure I don't do the same. Frankly I need to practice all of this.

Thanks for posting.

Experience doesn't always mean expertise. There was a time when a part-time SWAT team would have had more 'experience' in room entry than SFOD-D (pre GWOT), but they didn't train more than SFOD-D, or train to a higher standard than SFOD-D. Street cops go into a lot of houses but that doesn't mean they do it correctly.

(I'm not even a LAV nuthugger. I find him pompous. But I needed to point that out.)
    I was a SWAT guy back in the mid to late 90s. We did things then as a matter of course that people would cringe at today. We need to remember the era in which LAV made his bones. Besides, he teaches a lot of classes, but how many are based around shooting mechanics and gunsmithing vs movement tactics? I'd say far more of the former than the latter these days. I'm no LAV fan, but let's all do a movement drill and post a vid up here for peer review and see how we all do.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Its pretty rare to find classes that address solo room clearing, so thought I'd post this for anyone interested.

https://www.tridentconcepts.com/prod...cqb-200725-tx/

It is said that the compressed ready has advantages in regards to weapons retention. It's not always about the timer. (Did I just break my rule to not discuss tactics on the internet?)
    I totally agree... time and place for almost everything... but my post was specifically in response to a prior post stating low ready took “too much time” compared to a compressed ready.

For those that missed it.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200707-132247_Firefox.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  30.1 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

If you don't like the tactics just wait awhile...they'll change.

I think I've seen them change so many times we're back to where it was wrong the first time.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Its pretty rare to find classes that address solo room clearing, so thought I'd post this for anyone interested.

https://www.tridentconcepts.com/prod...cqb-200725-tx/
    This is also pretty much in southnarc’s wheelhouse. Not surprising that he and Gonzales would be friends, either.

https://shivworks.com/armed-movement-in-structures/

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As long as we are dissecting the LAV’s performance, I might have tac reloaded before shooting 15 rounds.
    OK, Timmie.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I'm the last person with the skill or knowledge to be posting on this topic but I'm pretty sure that during the live shoot, the second to last bad guy, right before the hostage room, would have smoked Larry long before he could back up down the hall and return fire. It looked like a perfect ambush and I don't see how creating distance in that situation would be the best solution to the problem. Replace that paper target with a Sims pistol and LAV's getting hammered.
    I also don't see how the trainer assisting the doors when they swing closed helps the student... If that kind of problem happens in a shoot house it will damn sure happen in real life.
    Feel free to smack me down if I'm wrong as I probably don't know what I don't know.

User Tag List