Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Individual Room Clearing at Gunsite Academy

Individual Room Clearing at Gunsite Academy

Walt Wilkinson shows LAV how Gunsite teaches solo room clearing:

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Walt Wilkinson shows LAV how Gunsite teaches solo room clearing:
    Thanks for posting! It looks like LAV has done this once or twice before....

His low ready really seems a bit odd to me. Back when I was I was going through training we were never allowed to have our guns that low. Bringing them all the way up and reaquiring a sight picture takes to much time. May not seem like a big deal but miliseconds count in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    His low ready really seems a bit odd to me. Back when I was I was going through training we were never allowed to have our guns that low. Bringing them all the way up and reaquiring a sight picture takes to much time. May not seem like a big deal but miliseconds count in that situation.
    I’d be more inclined to compress, myself, but I’m also no LAV. Credit where credit is due: folks should take his advice over mine on this all day long. But, I hear you.

At the Rogers School, the par time from a low ready to a hit on an eight inch plate at 7 yards is .50. The par time for the same hit from a high ready is .75.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Gunsite guy actually “corrected” LAV and had him go lower so he could see threats/portions of threats closer. Thinking more of a set up teachable moment, but YMMV. The logic explained was that he was looking for small segments of folks hiding behind furniture, door frames... and the wider a field of view the better. Kind if the whole if you can’t see it you can’t shoot it.

I'm a firm believer in being able to transition hands dependent on whether you are going right - lead with left to minimize exposure; obviously going left you are right handed. In order to minimize exposure you need to be able to close the dominant eye when going support hand.

Around 6:08 LAV was taking what looked like big bites, exposing his right foot. I'm pretty sure that was a camera angle thing, especially since they were talking about that very thing, but it is a good thing to remember - ideally when you are slicing your foot should never be outside the shoulder 'cap' thingie. I kind of do a side bend.

I also tend to kind of one-hand 'sul' if you would when I'm opening doors so I don't muzzle my wrist.

I would think it would be a good thing to have reverse camera angles by the targets on the dry runs - in the face of the target so you kind of get an idea what the bg is seeing of you.

As long as we are dissecting the LAV’s performance, I might have tac reloaded before shooting 15 rounds.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ve actually put many ready positions on a timer across many people trying to disprove that low ready is faster.

Short answer... I proved myself wrong. Low ready is measurably faster than a compressed ready position (we didn’t do or teach high ready at the time) and I am impressed that Gunsite advocates exactly what my department teaches (if you can see it you can solve it, so keep the gun in a position to see what needs to be seen).

I thought it was a good video with very well thought out points.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    The Gunsite guy actually “corrected” LAV and had him go lower so he could see threats/portions of threats closer. Thinking more of a set up teachable moment, but YMMV. The logic explained was that he was looking for small segments of folks hiding behind furniture, door frames... and the wider a field of view the better. Kind if the whole if you can’t see it you can’t shoot it.
    When I went thouugh my academy none of us had problems doing that without using a low ready position.

User Tag List