Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms supply chain woes....worst ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I ran through 2 cases of Freedom 9mm and a bunch of 762 Nato without an issue. I have heard reports of problems from credible sources though so I've stopped buying their ammo. What is amazing to me is how much they are charging !
    That seems to be the going rate now.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Stopped by the Cabelas in Glendale, AZ today. The only pistol ammo on the shelf was .25 auto, .32 auto, 357 SIG FMJ and a couple boxes of .500 S&W. Still had a reasonable selection of hunting rifle ammo and plenty of birdshot on the shelf. Not much in the way of handguns on display. I talked with my local dealer who does my transfers and was told they were getting lots of folks from the valley stopping by on the weekends. They were mostly looking for 9mm pistols. He is having a hard time finding ammo to stock.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One of the managers at my LGS stopped by all the big box stores on his driving vacation through the lower midwest and came back with a few cases worth of pistol ammo to put on the shelf in the store here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I won't touch Freedom Munitions ever again.... Had their .223 at a Pat Rogers carbine class, I couldn't get it to group into a 8 in circle at 50 meters, so Pat got behind the rifle, same problem.... Loaded up a mag a wolf gold.... Clover leaf at 50 meters.... Freedom .223 = NFE.

Had two different Squibs with their 230Gn 45 ammo, one got stuck in the barrel of a Glock 41, One got stuck in the barrel of a SA MC Operator, both were luckily caught before trying to fire a second round. again NFE....

If Freedom Munitions is the only ammo left available then I guess I'm not gonna be shooting for a bit.

Luckily, I've got plenty of factory new stuff stored to make it into a least the fall of next year. Hopefully it starts becoming more available by then, but I've heard from a reputable source that this panic is much worse then any of the previous ones due to the confluence of events of 2020 and we might be looking at shortages for the next two years or so.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Haven't bought FM ammo since mid 2016. Their quality control went to absolute shit about that time, and their prices were noncompetitive considering the lack of quality.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    About the only handgun ammo I can routinely find on the shelves right now are .22 shorts.

Fortunately, I have a couple of Smith & Wesson revolvers in .22. I went through 300 rounds of .22 shorts the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I won't touch Freedom Munitions ever again....
    Speaking as someone who loads his own 9mm, thank you. Their FM headstamp 9mm brass is a hazard to reloaders everywhere, and the less of it there is in circulation, the better. It has an internal ledge/sharp corner which can act as a stress concentration point, leading to the case separating on firing. Admittedly I've only personally seen this happen in a friend's Open gun, so well outside of normal 9mm pressure levels, but I still won't use that brass even for 130 PF loads.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Speaking as someone who loads his own 9mm, thank you. Their FM headstamp 9mm brass is a hazard to reloaders everywhere, and the less of it there is in circulation, the better. It has an internal ledge/sharp corner which can act as a stress concentration point, leading to the case separating on firing. Admittedly I've only personally seen this happen in a friend's Open gun, so well outside of normal 9mm pressure levels, but I still won't use that brass even for 130 PF loads.
    Yes, I sort every piece of 9mm reloadable brass by headstamp looking for those stupid FM's.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Haven't bought FM ammo since mid 2016. Their quality control went to absolute shit about that time, and their prices were noncompetitive considering the lack of quality.
    That's about when I stopped buying their stuff too. For a while they were pretty cheap, but then prices fell overall and there was no reason to buy FM when I could get a name brand for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Yes, I sort every piece of 9mm reloadable brass by headstamp looking for those stupid FM's.
    Yup, I have a bullet feeder but not a case feeder, so before each piece of brass goes into the shell plate, I check the headstamp. Freakin tedious, but it's either that or pre-sort, so it's sort of six of one/half dozen of the other.

User Tag List