Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Firearms supply chain woes....worst ever...

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So I got to the range Monday evening. Before I headed up there I thought to weigh the rounds in a box of each on my digital food scale. I weighed all 50 rounds in a box of 200gr FMJ and they were all within 1 gram of each other (19 or 20 grams and if the scale fluctuated I went with the lower weight). I did the same with a box of 230gr FMJ and they were also within 1 gram of each other (21 or 22 grams).
    What were you trying to detect by weighing the individual rounds?

Hopefully not light/heavy powder charges, as 1 gram = 15.43 grains, or more than 1.5x the heaviest charge weight I saw on quickly glancing into the never-used .45 section of the little Lyman pistol caliber data book sitting on my desk. Further, the brass cases and bullets weigh far more than the powder, so even small variations in the weights of those components, percentage-wise, would quickly obscure any variance in powder charge.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Since I have been shooting very little over the past 18 months- I am fortunate to have over 1,000 rounds. I checked sgammo and they have 73 boxes of 9mm ammo left - and it is a brand I would not use.

The answer- to reload my own, which I do. However- the one major item not found so far as we unpack after moving is my Dillon- unfreaking believable.
    i hope you moved yourself.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post

Hopefully not light/heavy powder charges, as 1 gram = 15.43 grains, or more than 1.5x the heaviest charge weight I saw on quickly glancing into the never-used .45 section of the little Lyman pistol caliber data book sitting on my desk. Further, the brass cases and bullets weigh far more than the powder, so even small variations in the weights of those components, percentage-wise, would quickly obscure any variance in powder charge.
    Trying to locate a pistol cartridge that didn't get a powder drop by weight is futile, even if you know one didn't.

But I'm not sure what the objective is here either.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Trying to locate a pistol cartridge that didn't get a powder drop by weight is futile, even if you know one didn't.

But I'm not sure what the objective is here either.
    Consistency more than anything. It was a spur of the moment idea as I was packing up to hit the range and I ran with it. It’s been ~20 years since I did any reloading and that was 12ga skeet loads so I didn’t know...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My buddies shop has been doing pretty good in getting stuff in, though it's getting harder to get certain things. He has two cases full of 9mm Glocks, all at normal prices, along with a good selection of other pistols. Mostly this is due to the NC requirement to have either a NC CCW or to get a pistol purchase permit from the Sheriffs dept prior to buying a handgun in this state..... He has been getting in Arsenal AK's and higher end AR's along with some other cool stuff (PTR9, B&T stuff, DSA FAL's....) He has also been bringing in some more expensive stuff he normally wouldn't stock, Noveske pistols, 2 stamp Honey Badger, the aforementioned B&T things. Parts are becoming harder to get but most stuff is still available unless you are being super specific, Most of his customers really are not.

Exceptions.... stripped AR lowers and regular length barrels along with BCG's are becoming harder to find, in the case of lowers, almost impossible. He is also one of the few gun shops direct with BCM, BCM is pretty cleaned out and stuff is coming in but very slowly, He still has 16 inch BCM uppers left in stock and just got a few complete lowers in, but no BCGs.... none of it will last long.

Ammo....

Stuff comes in, both ball and defense in 9, .40, .45 acp, 5.56, .300 blk, 7.62x39, .308, but only a case or two at a time and it only lasts a day or two at most. Store is limiting ammo purchases to a total of 4 boxes per person per day in order to allow as many people in town to get some. He is no longer doing bulk or case sales of ammo.

Luckily I have plenty of stuff, guns and ammo to hopefully ride this out, but some of my buddies who just got back from deployments or overseas don't and he has been trying to hook them up as much as he can. One buddy just got back from three years in Okinawa and had sold off all his stuff prior to going over there with his family, and was able to get him into a Arsenal AK and LWRC AR along with two glocks for him and his wife, and setting aside his ammo allocation so he can grab it on paydays... Being a Married SSgt with 3 kids doesn't leave a lot of gun money left in the account....

All in all Jacksonville NC kind of feels like it's in a bubble with Covid and all the other national angst, here everyone is pretty much still getting paid and most dudes are focused on their next deployment or work up, and that's what their personal planning process revolves around, not any other sense of impending doom.... though there is our fair share of boogaloo boys, I guess.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List