Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Firearms supply chain woes....worst ever...

A note today from my friend who manages purchasing and sales at the big distributor. He talks to the manufacturers and importers daily. The current problem is not solely demand.

"Product availability continues to be impacted by factors beyond the current, unprecedented demand. Early on, the pandemic shuttered production and shipping from a wide assortment of manufacturers as well as their raw material and component suppliers. A second, serious unintended consequence was the offer of additional unemployment benefits. The extra cash benefit resulted in a number of manufacturing employees separating from their employers. The flow of import goods and raw materials from Asia (specifically China) has been subject to a months-long disruption. CBC (Magtech/S&B ammo) and Taurus in Brazil have been seriously impacted by the virus in their country. The pitfalls of just in time and lean manufacturing methodology have been magnified in our current situation. Challenges abound from multiple angles. "

The RSO's at my local public range say they're seeing less clientele, because people can't find ammo.

On the upside, Aim Surplus actually has a couple Glock pistols in stock, G19 and G42.

https://aimsurplus.com/firearm/handgun/

The G19 is Gen 3, so it's California-friendly. It's the first time I've seen 19's of any generation in stock since things went sideways with Corona.

I got an email ad from Guns.com today. I only looked at the CZ handguns. I was surprised how much is available and the prices were much better than I would've guessed.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is this the same Freedom Munitions? I ordered 200 rounds of .45 ACP from them earlier this evening...
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Same logo. The old place also had a factory in ID. I reckon it's them.

Lots of people around here used them. Most were satisfied.

I kept hearing people complain about ammo that had the characteristics of being underloaded, and they often had recalls of ammo for being overloaded. Didn't give me confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks. If my username changes to Lefty or Stumpy you’ll know something went wrong...
    So I got to the range Monday evening. Before I headed up there I thought to weigh the rounds in a box of each on my digital food scale. I weighed all 50 rounds in a box of 200gr FMJ and they were all within 1 gram of each other (19 or 20 grams and if the scale fluctuated I went with the lower weight). I did the same with a box of 230gr FMJ and they were also within 1 gram of each other (21 or 22 grams).

It's definitely stouter than the 230gr Fed Syntec I've been shooting but I left the 230gr S&B I was going to use as a control at the house so I'm not sure if this stuff really is loaded hot or if the Fed is softer than I thought. I only fired 15 rounds total between the two boxes of FM then went back to the Fed until I can get more info.

So to avoid this circus again, what's the consensus on Precision One ammo?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I bought some copper plated 38sp wadcutters from Precision One a few years back, they were very consistent.

Only bringing this back up because I am astounded by where we have sunk. I am not buying anything, but I do run ammoseek a couple of times a week and gunbroker is a two decade habit of mostly looking.

Today I am seeing .22WMR at about a buck a round and less than 5 suppliers who have anything in that cartridge but shotshells, even the less than mainstream rounds like .357 Sig, .45 Colt, 10mm auto are out of sight now. When I went on GB and did some search and sort, there are only 53 DW brand .45 ACP 1911's for sale nationwide!!!! In normal times that number on GB is always north of 500 guns.

I never imagined that the firearms supply chain could be driven down to this point. I normally see crowds at one of our local gun clubs on Black Friday, and this Friday and Saturday I practically had the place to myself because nobody is out shooting.

One of my friends who is a weekend regular was out yesterday, he and his guest limited themselves to shooting one box of 9mm and 100 rounds of .22LR before they left (he is not a reloader). The guy is a general surgeon, so money is not his issue, he cannot get his hands on anything and it spooking him to limit his practice and recreational shooting.

I quite frankly thought that short of a nuclear war or the zombie apocalypse it would never be possible to empty the guns and ammunition supply chain down to the point it is today. We all know all the reasons why, but this is worse than any previous panic by a multiple. Anybody who predicts where and when this thing bottoms out is whistling out his ass.....sorta like the rest of 2020, there is no prediction worth the air it took to speak it or the keystrokes to type it.

Site Supporter
    Using CCI as an example, it's safe to assume that their primer supply is going to the manufacture of their own ammo. Hence, they have no primers to sell. Let's extrapolate that to the other manufacturers. I have heard that manufacturers are unable to buy sufficient quantities of copper. My lifelong experience in the shooting hobby points to copper as the weak link in the component supply chain. The Super-Vel company in the early 1960's developed high velocity handgun ammo but folded because they could not buy raw materials to make their bullets. Why? Maybe they got squeezed.

I have no idea what Biden will do but guess that he may cease importation of ammo from China. Both Bush presidents restricted importations. Trump hit Bump stocks. Newt Gingrich cast the last vote in the 1994 assault weapons ban. So we have 3 Republican presidents and a famous R conservative who did not support our cause. I cared not about Bump stocks but use them in my example.

I got a 10# ingot of 99.999% pure copper here. wonder what that bitch is worth right now
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    I have been grabbing .22 LR when I find it online for a reasonable price and it really seems to fluctuate, I think last night the best price I saw was like 20 cents a round.
    This morning there some better-priced choices out there.
    My local shop seems to have gotten their firearm inventory back up, and I'm starting to the "used" handguns that are basically new that were bought in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I normally see crowds at one of our local gun clubs on Black Friday, and this Friday and Saturday I practically had the place to myself because nobody is out shooting.
    I went to a public outdoor range a month ago and it was pretty busy. I bought a gun a couple weeks ago and the gun shop was absolutely hopping and they were selling guns left and right. Granted, that was after election day. I have no idea how much of that traffic was Biden-panic.

I asked about their supply of .22lr, but they had none. They were well-stocked with guns, though. Other than ammo, are manufacturers catching up? The shortage doesn’t seem to have depressed things much around here.

User Tag List