Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms supply chain woes....worst ever...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm continuing to sell guns I don't really need. The least useful ones are turning out to be some of the biggest windfalls.

I had stockpiled enough ammo that if I run out of anything, it just means I'll shoot other guns until things stabilize. But I don't expect that to happen. I should probably shoot more, but with indoor ranges and Covid...

And I finally picked up a Bisley Blackhawk that was ~$75 less expensive than the cheapest I'd seen a similar gun go for previously. Sold four revolvers earlier, so this is not totally unreasonable. (He tells himself.)

Can't complain, at least about this.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Good God I just checked gunbot and there is literally nothing on the shelves under $1.00 per round.

Only exception is 10 mm at $.50 per round

Aim Surplus: 32 ACP .30 per round

https://aimsurplus.com/norma-32-auto...tion-50rd-box/

Some PF visionaries jumped on the .32 train early.

Seriously, I’m glad I have plenty of 9mm.

Ammo choices locally are very sparse. I was using Federal's 165-grain RTP round as practice ammo and a source for brass. It was less than $15.00 per box of fifty with taxes. Now the same ammo is stickered at $21.95 per box. Same with a 115-grain 9x19 version that was less than $14 per box of fifty with taxes. Some of it is being kept back to be sold to new handgun buyers. Makes sense as the pistol is useless without ammo and no available ammo would cost pistol sales.

Premium hollowpoints are still available in 9x19, .40, and .45, but the cost is elevated. Like over $30 per box of twenty. The cost is the only reason there were boxes on the shelves.

There was not a single box of 12-gauge in the store. Even the dove loads were out of stock.

.22 ammo is also starting to go. Most of the bulk choices have been depleted. There was some stock of Gemtech Suppressor at $60 per brick.

Pistol sales were brisk. I spent about an hour in the store as I did a transfer and saw three pistols, including a Colt Defender, sell. Not many for a bigger store, but this is a southern small town. I even saw a Glock 19X in the case -- for a few minutes. It got snapped up by a very happy buyer. SIG P365s sell before hitting the display cases.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Good God I just checked gunbot and there is literally nothing on the shelves under $1.00 per round.

Only exception is 10 mm at $.50 per round
    Depending on what different caliber options you have you should keep checking. I bought two cases of handgun ammo this week at or under 35 cents per round.

Site Supporter
    checked 40 cal on gunbot...lol sooo much for the "I need a 40 cal incase of an ammo panic"

The problem may be that the less popular cartridges like 380 only have a short in-stock shelf life in panic buying. There are some cartridges that are so obscure that ammo mfg's make them in small lots once a year. 9x18 Ultra is one which Fiocchi makes and sells out almost immediately at 0.50/rd. Once it's gone it's gone for a long time. Don't expect the shelves to be overflowing with 380 anytime soon.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

From Vista, parent company of Federal, Blazer, CCI, Speer etc. I was surprised their CEO said its NOT due to a materials shortage. Makes me think the ammo run is deeper than anyone is imagining.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...ly-off-shelves

Ammo sales, however, typically take “multiple months to catch up” to gun sales, according to Metz, which could lead to even tighter supplies in the months ahead.

Sales of ammunition at Vista Outdoor, based in Anoka, Minnesota, rose 22 percent year-over-year during the most recent quarter, which ended in June.

Wholesale and distributor inventories are the “leanest we’ve ever seen,” and it’s not due to a materials shortage, Metz said.

Vista, which kept the ammunition business after selling its Savage Arms and Stevens firearms brands in 2019, had the strongest order-writing month in its history in March and its second-strongest in July.

Ticker Security Last Change Change %
    VSTO VISTA OUTDOOR INC 20.25 +2.01 +11.02%
    Business “certainly hasn’t slowed down” Metz said.

Retailers have told the company that even if sales were to come to a screeching halt, it would still take them months to restock their shelves with the supply they need to feel comfortable

Yesterday I went into an LGS for the first time since February. I have really avoided the places because I have no needs, and I did want to avoid the crowds at close quarters at the cost of losing my browsing and bargain/treasure hunting habit.

They were poorly stocked for them (no surprise) but the owner who I have done business with for 35+ years pulled a handgun off his gunbroker list at my request and held it for me.

In our short discussion through our masks, I was joking with them about the coming "sell off" from all these panic buyers. His prediction to me was that by the first week of December, our area will be awash in $99 deals on used but never fired Mossberg 500's....

He said he was planning extra storage space, possibly even rented shipping containers, for the things they expected to take in once this craziness is over and people need cash for Christmas, regardless of who wins the election. I found that an interesting perspective on what is to come.

Although I expect there will be a little sell off, I do not expect anything like after Trump was elected and everyone felt the 2nd was safe. Guns and ammo have been way to volatile, repeatedly, in a short period of time. So I think the majority of people will generally hold on to whatever they have aquired.

User Tag List