Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Arc’Teryx Phasic Hoodie Canc’ed. Best Summer-Weight Successor?

RFI: Arc’Teryx Phasic Hoodie Canc’ed. Best Summer-Weight Successor?

Some time age, there was a side-bar discussion in which @GJM praised the Arc-Teryx Phasic Hoody/Hoodie. Well, I bought one, and absolutely love it, but it has been discontinued, and I know nothing last forever. Apparently, its immediate successor, in the Arc’Teryx line, the Remige, looks to have a shorted vertical measurement, for concealing at AIWB/AOWB, based upon seeing it on their website. It seems to be on its way out, too.

I would be sincerely grateful for any mention or discussion of summer-weight hoodies, especially those with low-cut hems.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I bought the Phasic as a result of that original post. It has, and continues to serve well. I picked up a cheap version from Amazon, I forget the brand but it works 80% as well for 25% of the price. I would have grabbed another Arcteryx had I known they were to be discontinued.

A comparison I found:

https://www.activegearreview.com/clo...arison-review/

http://https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-tropic-comfort-hoody-ii/52124.html

Have 5 of them. Great for hot weather and sun protection. Mine are all three years old and still look new even though I wear them all the time. Just note they run large.

I have the Remige in all their colors. Just in from hiking at Moab in 103F heat, and was quite comfortable with the Remige on. Covers AIWB fine.

Name:  08060DEC-6121-432E-9C43-829FCDB4A957.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  63.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
    http://https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-tropic-comfort-hoody-ii/52124.html

Have 5 of them. Great for hot weather and sun protection. Mine are all three years old and still look new even though I wear them all the time. Just note they run large.
    Thanks!

I have one of these, in my usual-for-Patagonia medium size, seemingly too close-fitting to carry anything substantial under under it. I would probably have to go up a size or two, for a loose fit. They were available locally, to try in a fitting room, but now it seems necessary to order them.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have the Remige in all their colors. Just in from hiking at Moab in 103F heat, and was quite comfortable with the Remige on. Covers AIWB fine.

Name:  08060DEC-6121-432E-9C43-829FCDB4A957.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  63.5 KB
    Thanks! Yes, the Remige seems to be made of an amazingly cool-feeling fabric, but the men’s sizes seem to be sold-out everywhere. The styling may well be unisex enough, if I wanted to just go ahead and wear the women’s version, but, it seems to have a shorter hem length, and, well, there is that availability problem, again, with only one women’s XL in Sun & Ski’s pipeline. Amazon only has it from a third-party mystery seller, and well, I am leery of counterfeits in Amazon’s system.

I’ll certainly be watching for reliable on-line sellers to replenish stock of the men’s Remige hoody.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I recently picked up one of these:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ol-daily-hoody

I'm right at the edge of medium/large in most stuff, and usually go large because I like a looser fit. This seems to run a bit long in large. From limited use, I thought it wicked pretty well, and dried quickly. The hood is quite big--I have a small head, but I was able to wear muff ear pro under it with a baseball cap while mowing the lawn. It might be a bit fragile for hard work use. Price is at the lower end of the high end brands in this category.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, thus far. I bought a women’s XL Remige, at the local Sun & Ski, to try, for real, in the heat. If it looks too feminine, I will give it to an XL-sized female relative, but I will have learned how the fabric performs, and whether to seek a men’s version, if/when they ever get re-stocked, anywhere.

I should mention that I have a Columbia fishing-oriented hoody, three samples, in three sizes. These would be two to three years old, so a current-season model might be different. It is OK, but is notably hotter to wear than the Patagonia and Arc’Teryx hoodies, and is the quickest, of the three, to start stinking.

The Arc’Teryx Phasic is the slowest-to-stink of any hoody I have tried, as of today. (I have yet to test the Remige in this way.)

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Putting The Remige Hoody To The Sweat/Odor Test.

This Remige Hoody is wonderful! I showered yesterday, mid-afternoon, to start off the test clean, then walked over a mile, with the two little dogs, in the hottest part of the day, in our present heat wave, with the heat index in the hundreds, with SE Texas Gulf Coast humidity. (When the dogs had had enough, I carried them.) I then ran several errands, and further tested it on a sweaty walk, last evening, after dark, but with the heat index still in the nineties. I then slept in it, and walked the dogs again this morning, with temps in the low Eighties, and VERY high morning humidity.

It has now been about 20 hours, in this Remige hoody. Moisture wicking is exemplary, which keeps me from stinking, and, unlike many wicking fabrics, I detect no B.O. in the fabric. I reckon it is about the same as my Arc’Teryx Phasic Hoody, though in the sunlight, this Remige, being an off-white color reflects much of the radiant heat, compared to my very-dark-green Phasic Hoody.

The wrinkles, from sleeping in this hoody, have worked themselves out, as I walk and stand. The sleeves are starting to show some dirt, as should be expected, with an off-white garment, worn during daily tasks.

I may as well well wear it a few more hours, to complete at least one full day.

I wish I had discovered this model of hoody, when they were more-available, and bought more, in all of the colors, in my size. REI has them in men’s XL and XXL, which is OK for casual wear, but in the Arc’Teryx line, I usually wear Medium, for a “proper” fit, and Large for carrying concealed hardware.

Yes, I am retired, so can dress casually, most days.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Do people wear t-shirts under these, or wear them as the only shirt?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List