Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poli-Sci: Riots + Fireworks --> Time for Water Cannons?

Site Supporter
    When the kids come up to see the trucks, I tell the parents that some of us never outgrew our obsession with fire trucks.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    One of my best friends’ grandfather was a Fire Captain in Birmingham during the civil rights movement in the 60’s. He told me that being involved in the police response led to them getting shot at on a fairly regular basis thereafter.

Also; I would like to learn more about fire trucks.
    A thread on fire trucks would be excellent.
    Like, how do you turn those monsters???

What ever happened to those sonic beacons and sound based crowd/riot dispersal devices that were so widely touted about 10-15 years ago? You aimed them at the crowd, turned them on, and it made everybody who was not deaf go away...

Wait I can think of some music in simple speakers....oh yeah, and the Mars Attacks Slim Whitman thing....

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    What ever happened to those sonic beacons and sound based crowd/riot dispersal devices that were so widely touted about 10-15 years ago? You aimed them at the crowd, turned them on, and it made everybody who was not deaf go away...
    Or shit their pants... that would clear crowds if you could send the diarrhea note to people's bellies haha...

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

Wait I can think of some music in simple speakers....oh yeah, and the Mars Attacks Slim Whitman thing....
    Dude...great idea...play the Star Spangled Banner and they’d scatter like the wind.

Ok thanks to the Firefighters perspective...no Fire Trucks.

Do the folks here think there’s no circumstance in which water could be used?

Say I had access to a water hose on the side of the Portland Justice Center. Could I use that to squirt the folks lighting off fireworks they’re sending.my way?

PS If the thread keeps wanting to talk about Fire Trucks, that’s cool. I like Fire Trucks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok thanks to the Firefighters perspective...no Fire Trucks.

Do the folks here think there’s no circumstance in which water could be used?

Say I had access to a water hose on the side of the Portland Justice Center. Could I use that to squirt the folks lighting off fireworks they’re sending.my way?
    If we're talking about the Portland Justice Center specifically... I can't see it happening.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...-violence.html

Gov. Kate Brown on Friday urged the Portland Police Bureau to de-escalate nightly tensions with a group of protesters that she said have “repeatedly taken to the streets with the intent to destroy property.”

While she noted that “this group has repeatedly lit fires, thrown rocks, bottles, fireworks and other objects and have put the safety of others at risk,” Brown said the police response has gone too far.

“Use of force, regardless of its legal justification, will do nothing to solve the underlying concerns of racial justice and police accountability raised by the protests,” she said.

In a statement, Brown made a distinction between the “large-scale, peaceful protests across Oregon (that) have brought attention to the need for police reform” and “a small group of individuals in Portland” bent on targeting property.

Still, the governor said she is “disturbed” by the bureau’s use of crowd-control munitions, which include distraction grenades, pepper spray and tear gas. Under a court order signed in June, Portland police aren’t allowed to use tear gas unless officers believe there is a serious risk to life or safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    A thread on fire trucks would be excellent.
    Like, how do you turn those monsters???

Duh! with a steering wheel..... I drive a Quint. It is a 75 foot straight ladder truck, 500 gallon water tank and a 1500 gallon per minute pump. It weighs 58,000lbs and is 10ft 9 inches tall(travel height) and 35ft 4 inches long. I have had in places a lot of people wouldn't take a pickup truck. I will get a pic tomorrow. Just to restate what has been said, we don't confront protesters with our equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Or shit their pants... that would clear crowds if you could send the diarrhea note to people's bellies haha...
    Among 5 & 6 string electric bass players, this is known as "The Brown Note".
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List