Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Criminals: PDW deployed from concealment, reported backpack

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I thought AKs were choppers?
    They are but it is used generically for all Assault rifles / pistols.

Like any mac/tec9 etc is an "uzi"

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They are but it is used generically for all Assault rifles / pistols.

Like any mac/tec9 etc is an "uzi"
    Tracking. I’m hoping the increased prevalence of AR pistols in criminal hands doesn’t cause the pistol brace to go the way of the bump stock. As more and more law abiding citizens purchase or assemble AR pistols, criminals will get their hands on more and more of them. Whether it be through purchasing them through straw buyers or by stealing them from the law abiding, they’ll become more common in criminal hands, likely for the same reasons they’re popular with law abiding gun owners. The fact that some nut job actually perpetrated a mass shooting in a busy bar district using a braced AR pistol, the day after everyone was already freaked out and amped up because a different nut job perpetrated a mass shooting in a Walmart, and the pistol brace wasn’t immediately declared a rifle stock gives me hope that they’ll stick around for a while.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Fairly certain that “chopper” was used as a reference to the Thompson submachine gun, during the 20’s and early 30’s.

Tracking. I’m hoping the increased prevalence of AR pistols in criminal hands doesn’t cause the pistol brace to go the way of the bump stock. As more and more law abiding citizens purchase or assemble AR pistols, criminals will get their hands on more and more of them. Whether it be through purchasing them through straw buyers or by stealing them from the law abiding, they’ll become more common in criminal hands, likely for the same reasons they’re popular with law abiding gun owners. The fact that some nut job actually perpetrated a mass shooting in a busy bar district using a braced AR pistol, the day after everyone was already freaked out and amped up because a different nut job perpetrated a mass shooting in a Walmart, and the pistol brace wasn’t immediately declared a rifle stock gives me hope that they’ll stick around for a while.
    I’m not so sure..one reason I’ve shied away from braces is because I’ve always felt that they are going to end up getting banned, all it’s going to take is a large enough mass shooting, people buy AR pistols and put braces on them to basically have an SBR without the hassle..It’s just a matter of time before the ATF, congress, make then go the way of the bump stock, And, I’ve no doubt Trump would sign the bill if it was put in front of him.. IMO, the brace folks are skating on thin ice...

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I’m not so sure..one reason I’ve shied away from braces is because I’ve always felt that they are going to end up getting banned, all it’s going to take is a large enough mass shooting, people buy AR pistols and put braces on them to basically have an SBR without the hassle..It’s just a matter of time before the ATF, congress, make then go the way of the bump stock, And, I’ve no doubt Trump would sign the bill if it was put in front of him.. IMO, the brace folks are skating on thin ice...

Yeah, It’s always been on thin ice, since the first one was invented.

It has always been based on one particular bureaucrat’s interpretation of the written law. New admin comes in and interprets it differently. The next one comes in and differently interpreted again, and so on and so on.

I once mentioned in a thread that it would be nice to have the regs written to absolutely clarify the situation. Others responded that would be bad as it’s quite likely that Congress would just make things worse. That’s a fair criticism, it’s highly unlikely that the current House would pass a pro-brace law currently, perhaps if it were tied to some massive tax increase or other liberal dream law, but even that’s unlikely.

To the main topic at hand;

I’m not surprised that this happened. There is a tendency for firearms forum members to think we are in some sort of “Fight Club” situation. “Don’t talk about X, the bad guys will hear and learn”.

Saw it when NFA trusts were becoming popular, same for braces.

People have been doing this for decades. Tommy guns were carried in violin cases back in the roaring 20’s.

I’ve seen LGS clerks discussing how a customer can get a braced pistol and use it like SBR. Criminals frequent the same stores too.

cc

Tracking. I’m hoping the increased prevalence of AR pistols in criminal hands doesn’t cause the pistol brace to go the way of the bump stock.
    I haven't seen any braces on the crime guns, they don't even have sights...
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

It has always been based on one particular bureaucrat’s interpretation of the written law. New admin comes in and interprets it differently. The next one comes in and differently interpreted again, and so on and so on.

I once mentioned in a thread that it would be nice to have the regs written to absolutely clarify the situation. Others responded that would be bad as it’s quite likely that Congress would just make things worse. That’s a fair criticism, it’s highly unlikely that the current House would pass a pro-brace law currently, perhaps if it were tied to some massive tax increase or other liberal dream law, but even that’s unlikely.

I’m not surprised that this happened. There is a tendency for firearms forum members to think we are in some sort of “Fight Club” situation. “Don’t talk about X, the bad guys will hear and learn”.

People have been doing this for decades. Tommy guns were carried in violin cases back in the roaring 20’s.

I’ve seen LGS clerks discussing how a customer can get a braced pistol and use it like SBR. Criminals frequent the same stores too.

cc
    What other legal activities do you avoid because of a fear it *might* be illegal someday? Do you guys really think criminals need to be told they can get a brace by some minimum wage store clerk? If they're criminals why would they be using a brace to begin with? Wouldn't they just use an illegal SBR for crimes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Fairly certain that “chopper” was used as a reference to the Thompson submachine gun, during the 20’s and early 30’s.
    Yes, the modern usage comes from old gangster movies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

cc
    Limited on time so I can expand later but TLDR; Your concerns reveal a lack of understanding about the relationship between statues as passed by congress and the Code of Federal Regulations implemented to carry out those statutes in detail consistent with the consent of congress as well as the federal rule making process and actual regulations vs "opinion letters." Along those lines, there are definitive regulations re: braces, specifically the CFR defining braces as "accessories" not stocks. Most know this as the reg that cleared up "shouldering" braces but there are deeper implications to it. From a technical point of view there are some significant, though technical differences between braces and bumpstocks.

Re: criminals - they pick stuff that looks cool online or in store or serves a purpose by being smaller / more concealable. Once the genie is out of the bottle it doesn't matter what gun store clerks say.

User Tag List