Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Duty Load

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Ok. Reliability and shot placement are my biggest concerns.

We've issued Gold Dot in 9mm and HST in 40 for at the past 15 years or so. I don't think there would be much difference if the brands/calibers were reversed. Both have worked well in actual shootings.

US Customs issued the 124 grain Gold Dot beginning in 1999. This remained the authorized 9mm load for ICE after the merger until the transition to the +P version around 2009/2010.

Around 2015/2016 ICE conducted testing on 147 grain duty ammo as a possible replacement for the 124 +P GD as part of the transition from .40 to 9mm as general issue. The decision was to stick with the 124 +P GD.
    The Federal ammo runs but we weren't happy with the terminal performance. If you don't worry about that stuff, I say rock whatever your weapon likes, but....I actually watched a Sig 320 that was dry during testing choke on 147 HST's and G2's. That same gun without being lubricated ran 124 +P Gold Dots and 9BPLE 100%. The little umph of a higher pressure round makes a difference when you have officers who don't clean and lube their weapons. In fact that is why Chicago and NYPD runs Plus P ammo. Got to make them run and work for those who don't take care of their weapons. People actually believe you never have to clean and lube a Glock.
    Last edited by The Fuzz; 07-05-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I’ve always been interested in terminal ballistics. My employer tells me what ammo to use but I enjoy learning about observations and testing done with other loadings. We are currently issued and required to use 124gr +P Gold Dot. All the formal testing data and informal anecdotal info I’ve seen has lead me to be comfortable with it.
    That's a solid load.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    My agency switched to 147gr HST from G2 a couple years ago. I’m not aware of any issues with it. It’s also recommended by @DocGKR.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....y-load-testing

I’d be curious to know of any failures/poor performance in actual shootings.
    Got a buddy who says it works well for California agencies and heard it does well in testing. Just hasn't been my experience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As in not going boom or inconsistent terminal performance?

I ask as I chose the 127 and 124 Rangers as my standard SD loads and would rather not feel compelled to buy another case or two?

I don’t want to get kilt in the streets.....
    Not going boom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    The Federal ammo runs but we weren't happy with the terminal performance. If you don't worry about that stuff, I say rock whatever your weapon likes, but....I actually watched a Sig 320 that was dry during testing choke on 147 HST's and G2's. That same gun without being lubricated ran 124 +P Gold Dots and 9BPLE 100%. The little umph of a higher pressure round makes a difference when you have officers who don't clean and lube their weapons. In fact that is why Chicago and NYPD runs Plus P ammo. Got to make them run and work for those who don't take care of their weapons. People actually believe you never have to clean and lube a Glock.
    We've got 15,000 LEOs so we have the same bell curve as every other large organization.

We've got 15,000 LEOs so we have the same bell curve as every other large organization.
    Worked for a 25 officer PD and had the same issues. Had to stand over them and make them clean their weapons. Can't do that on this 1800 man PD though.

Site Supporter
    Worked for a 25 officer PD and had the same issues. Had to stand over them and make them clean their weapons. Can't do that on this 1800 man PD though.
    We shoot quarterly and locally cannot clean guns at either of the ranges we use due to Hazmat/EPA issues as the used patches etc have lead and require appropriate disposal as hazmat.

Most clean after Quals but given the heat down here oil on guns lasts a month at best.

We shoot quarterly and locally cannot clean guns at either of the ranges we use due to Hazmat/EPA issues as the used patches etc have lead and require appropriate disposal as hazmat.

Most clean after Quals but given the heat down here oil on guns lasts a month at best.
    Off topic but kind of lube are you guys running?

Site Supporter
    Off topic but kind of lube are you guys running?
    Mostly the G96 CLP off the current .MIL contract.

Mostly the G96 CLP off the current .MIL contract.
    I run Miltech TB25 Grease on the rails and Slip 2000 EWL 30 on the other moving parts that require lube. Seems to work well on my 17 in both the cold Midwest winters and hot humid summers. We don't get the Texas heat like you guys got there though.

User Tag List